The British Columbia Institute of Technology
) is an institute of technology
in Burnaby, British Columbia
. It provides full- and part-time polytechnic education leading to certificates, diplomas, bachelor's degrees
and master's degrees
in technologies and trades. Dr. Don Wright joined BCIT as President in March, 2008.
In addition to the main Burnaby campus, it has a campus in downtown Vancouver, a marine campus in North Vancouver, an aerospace and technology campus in Richmond, and a number of small satellite campuses. It is also a partner in the Masters of Digital Media program run by Great Northern Way Campus Ltd, and rents training space there with several other institutions.
Facts and figures
BCIT provides the majority of apprenticeship training in the province of British Columbia. Approximately 16,000 full-time and 40,000 part-time students enroll each year, with over 100,000 alumni. BCIT has over 1,400 full-time faculty and staff and more than 600 part-time faculty and staff.
- 1960: BC Vocational School opens at Willingdon and Canada Way under direct management of the provincial government.
- 1964: First Technology students are on campus (Founding Year).
- 1966: First graduates. Administration of BCIT and BC Vocational School remain separate.
- 1980: Pacific Vocational Institute (PVI) is created as an independent institution to combine BC Vocational School with Maple Ridge and Sea Island operations.
- 1986: BCIT and PVI structures merge to form the new BCIT. Classes are held on Sea Island, in Kaslo, Langley, Surrey, and Burnaby and in multiple downtown Vancouver locations.
- 1994: BCIT merges with the Pacific Marine Training Institute in North Vancouver.
- 1995: Legislation gives BCIT degree-granting status.
- 2001: BCIT becomes a polytechnic institution.
- 2007 Guichon Creek overflows - causing minor damage to two buildings at the Burnaby campus.
BCIT has six Schools providing full-time and part-time studies in a variety of subjects.
BCIT also has a Technology Centre which undertakes and coordinates applied research, and provides technology transfer and commercialization assistance.