It was located in the Longwood Medical Area in Boston. Boston State College's roots begin with the Girls High School, founded in 1852. In 1872, the Boston Normal School separated from Girls High School and became an independent institution. The Normal School was renamed the Teachers College of the City of Boston in 1924. In 1952 it became a state college, the State Teachers College at Boston. The college was renamed the State College at Boston, a.k.a. Boston State College, in 1960. Boston State College merged with University of Massachusetts Boston in 1982.