The Birmingham Oratory
is a Catholic oratory
, also known as Little Rome in Birmingham
. It is on the Hagley Road
. The church was constructed between 1907 and 1910 in the Baroque style
as a memorial to Cardinal Newman
, founder of the English Oratory
The Grade II listed church is served by the Congregation of the Oratory; who also serve the Brompton Oratory in London and the Oxford Oratory.
J. R. R. Tolkien, the author of The Lord of the Rings, worshipped here for about seven years.
The Oratory Priests' Home
The Oratory Priests' Home (1850-1) fronting Hagley Road is a Grade II* listed building
. It was the home (1852-90) of John Henry Cardinal Newman