[भरतपुर (नारायणी)] is a city in the central-southern part of Nepal
. Located in Chitwan Valley, it includes the former community of Narayangarh
and is often referred as such still by the locals. Bharatpur is the district headquarters of the Chitwan District
, as well as a separate Municipal authority, and is the seventh largest city of Nepal with the population of 125,112 (117162-2005 census). Bharatpur is one of the fastest growing cities of Nepal. It lies on the banks of Narayani river
and serves as a commercial centre of Chitwan district and central region of Nepal. It is located at the centre of Mahendra (east -west) highway and Kathmandu
- Birgunj (North-South) road corridor. The proximity of this city from Kathmandu (146 km), Pokhara
(126 km), Butwal
(114 km), Birganj
(128 km), Hetauda (78 km) and Gorkha (67 km) has augmented the importance of its advantageous geographical location. In addition to good road access, Bharatpur has regular daily air services to Pokhara and Kathmandu.
Most of the shopping area lies in Narayangarh, while government offices, big hospitals and colleges are situated in other parts of the city, including Nepal's premier cancer hospital, B.P Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital. The economy of Bharatpur was traditionally based on agriculture. The agricultural land is gradually converted into the residential and industrial areas.Main industries of Bharatpur are small scale processing industries. A large number of poultry industries have developed in the municipality. It is believed that it covers more than 60% of the total poultry demand of the country. Moreover, this municipality has a substantial volume of poultry products for export trade. Other meager production of the city are honey, mushrooms, floriculture, and service industry (education and health). Chitwan is regarded as food surplus district, which is processed in Bharatpur and sold to major cities of the country including Kathmandu and Pokhara. Besides, multinational companies like Coca-Cola and San Miguel are also situated within the city. A large number of business and trading houses are based in the city. The major companies across the country have opened their branches in the city. Its central position along with the crossroads of Bharatpur has enabled it to increase its wholesale and retail trading function.
Transportation and Communcations
is in the central part of the city connecting to Kathmandu and Pokhara. Five domestic airlines make 7 to 11 flights a day. Mahendra (East West) Highway connects the city to various parts of the country and another highway connects Bharatpur with Kathmandu and Pokhara to the north east and north west respectively and with Birgunj (Birganj) on the border of India to the south. Bus, Micro bus and other land transportations are available to go out of the city, for internal transportations taxi, rickshaw and car/jeep hiring is available.Hakim Chowk
and Chaubis Kothi Sahid (martyrs ) Chowk
, Pul (Bridge) Chowk
, Bel Chowk
and Lila Chowk
are major centres at intersections of major roads.
Communication: Four major local FM radio stations broadcast from Bharatpur. They are " Synergy FM","Vijay FM" "Hamro FM" and " Kalika FM" .The city also has its own TV channel, called Beso Channel.
Bish Hazar (20 Thousand) lake
Bish Hazar (20 Thousand) lake is in the southern corner of Bharatpur. The lake is very attractive for the bird lovers and serves as an important bird watching centre.The lake area houses lots of crocodiles and thus is equally attractive for the reptile lovers. Bish hazar lake lies just 5 km south from the city centre (Chaubishkothi) of Bharatpur.
Chitwan National park
Nearby Chitwan National Park
is home to one horn rhinos, elephants, royal Bengal tigers, crocodiles, deers and many other wild animals. It is the third largest tourist destination in Nepal after Kathmandu and Pokhara.Hotels of Bharatpur, Nepal
and around Bharatpur provide all the tourist services in and out side the National Park and, Business service with the modern facilities.
Narayani River flows north to south in the west of Bharatpur, it is the deepest river of Nepal and also one of the biggest rivers of Nepal. There is a bridge across the Narayani River which connects Chitwan District with Nawalparashi District of Nepal. Small islands, like Nagarban in Narayani river are popular picnic spots.
Rapti River flows east to south west in the south of Bharatpur and makes the northern border of the Chitwan National Park.
Narayangarh is the main shopping area of Bharatpur city, ward no.1,2,3,4 areas. Is the main transit point for all the vehicles travelling via west east Mahendra Highway and also for the people travelling from Kathmandu, Gorkha, and Pokhara through Mugling road.
Famous Religious and Cultural landmarks of Bharatpur
- Devghat- Devghat is one of the most holy places for Hindus and is located in ward no. 1 of Bharatpur Municipality, on the banks of Narayani and Kali river junction. Various caves and temples of Hindu God and Goddesses are located here.Devghat also holds a very beautiful natural attraction because of the two main and holy rivers. It is just 7 km from the city centre of Bharatpur.
- Ganeshthan Temple (Baseni) is the most famous Hindu temple in Bharatpur city and has a very long history. This temple is believed to be constructed by Muni Makunda Sen, King of Palpa in 15th century, but the modern temple was constructed in 1952 in the period of King Mahendra.This temple is located in Baseni, ward no. 11, Bharatpur municipality. Every tuseday people from different parts of the city visit this temple to worship Lord Ganesh.
- Bageshwori Temple - This temple located in ward no. 2, is also a very old one, believed to be built before Muni Makunda Sen and was renovated by yogi Narahari Nath . Is located in the Devghat area development district, but the area of Bageshwori temple is being used by Bharatpur medical college.
- Harihar Temple (Narayangarh)- Harihar is another name of Hindu God Bishnu. This temple is on the banks of Narayani river.
- Kalika temple- Kalika is one of the very powerful Hindu goddess, this temple is in Bharatpur height. This temple is relatively new, built about 15 years ago.
- Jakhadi Mai Temple (Baseni)- This temple is on the eastern corner of the Jungle in ward no. 11 and was constructed around 25 years ago by the locals.
- Durga Temple (Baseni)- Durga Temple was built by the police force within the compound of Police Academy ,Bharatpur in 1992.
- Pashupatinath Temple (Mahendra Buspark) Bharatpur- This new temple is on the banks of the Narayani river with very beautiful scenery of Narayani and northern Jungle of Devghat Region. This temple has all the facilities for wedding ceremonies and other religious purposes.
- Rameshowr Temple (Kchetrapur)- This Mahadev temple is also a new one ,built in 1994.This is the busiest temple in the city and also serves people through a health post and library.
Fort Palace and landmark buildings
- Upardanghari fort:- It is in the old Headquarter of Chitwan district and is believed to be made by Satrubhanjan Sah, son of Prince Bahadur Sah to defend newly founded Kingdom in the 17th century. It is located on the top of a hill and overlooks a very nice natural scenery.
- Kasrra Durbar(Palace):- Is an old palace made by Rana Regime inside the Chitwan National park. Now it is being used as an office of National park and also hosts a museum .
- Diyalo Bangala Palace (Aptari Bharatpur):- This was the spring season palace used by the Saha Dynasty of Nepal. This palace was built by Late king Mahendra to rest during winter season. It is located on the banks of Narayani river in ward no. 2, Bharatpur municipality.
- DAO Building Bharatpur :- This long and attractive old building was built in the period of shifting the headquarter from Upardangghari. Now is used as an office of chief district officer.
- Bharatpur Covered hall:- Hall in guesthouse of Bharatpur for indoor games.
Main Education and Health Institutions
- Birendra Multiple Campus - The oldest campus of the city, which is located in the heart of the city, Bharatpur heights. But the Masters wing is located in the by-pass road.This campus has played a vital role on the higher education history of Chitwan.
- Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science -The agriculture institution under Tribhuvan University (Rampur) (agriculture campus) is the main institution in the field of agiculture – veterinary sciencec in Nepal .Occupying huge area this campus is being proposed as a university from the board of Bharatpur Municipality. It is helping people in the field of agricultural study and researches. http://www.iaasrampur.edu.np/
- Balkumari Mulitple Campus - This campus is located near the Narayanghad Bharatpur Height and is the first public campus in the city.Is gaining huge popularity by providing standard education and resources.www.balkumaricollege.edu.np
- Saptagandaki Multiple Campus - Is the second public campus in the city and is in Dipendranagar ward no. 10 , Bharatpur.
- Bharatpur college of Medical sciences - This college with 700 bed teaching hospital is situated in Dipendranagar, Bharatpur http://www.cmsnepal.edu.np/pages/aboutinst.htm
- Bharatpur Pilot training school :- Nepal’s first and the only private (the movement school is under Nepal Army Air Battery) pilot training school is in Bharatpur, which provides Private Pilot License and Commercial Pilot License, after the completion of the 4 month and 10 month courses respectively. http://www.shivaniair.com/
- Maiya Devi Girls Campus - This campus specially for girls education is in Dipendranagar Bharatpur.
- Chitwan Medical College and Research Centre: - This newly opened medical college with a teaching hospital is located in the heart of the city Dipendranagar , Bharatpur.Phone no.*97756532933 http://www.cmc.edu.np
- Others - "Chitwan Science College,Milan chowk" is the first private +2 college in Chitwan.
'Orchid Science College' is the second one. The rivalry between these two colleges is actually growing lot of
talented students. Orchid Science College has established itself as one of the best colleges in Nepal.The results
obtained from the entance examinations and the numbers of students going abroad with good scholarships obviously
reflect this fact.more information can be viewed by logging in its site http://orchid.edu.np/
Apex academy(Kshetrapur), Presidency college Dipendranagar, Xavier college Bel chowk, Sahid Campus Ratnanagar also hold significant number of students.
- Balkumari Higher Secondary School is the most popular and historic school in Narayangarh. It is believed that this school was shifted from Upardangghari (old headquarter of Chitwan District) to Bharatpur, the present day headquarter.
- Chitwan Higher Secondary School - This is the landmark government school in Bharatpur, Dipendranagar. It has a very attractive school building and a glorious history.
- Other important schools are Narayani high school and Bharatpur high school, Dipendranagar; Small Heaven school, Aaptari and Kalyanpur; Sunrise school, Krishna pur; Chitwan Boarding school ,Kshetrapur;Bhanu high school ,Narayangarh etc. "Hill Bird" was the first private school in Chitwan and "Amber Everest" was the second one.
- Mahendra Adarsha Chikitsalaya (Bharatpur general Hospital) - located in Dipendranagar with 2 hundred beds and is being planned to extend 300 more beds soon. This is the oldest hospital in the city. It was establishd in 1967.
- Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital - This new University hospital is in the heart of Bharatpur-10, Chitwan. This hospital is providing all types of medical facilities... http://www.cmc.edu.np
- Mahendra Memorial Eye Hospital - This hospital is also located in Dipendranagar. With 25 bed capacity, it provides all type of services related to eye problem.
- B.P. Koirala Cancer Hospital - This hospital was established with the help of the Government of People's Republic of China in 1994, with all cancer treatment facilities this is the meager cancer treatment institution in the country. This hospital is named after B.P. Koirala ,the democratic leader and the first elected prime minister of Nepal.This hospital is situated at Krishnapur, Bharatpur. For more information visit : http://www.bpkmch.org.np
- CMS Teaching Hospital - This is the teaching hospital of Bharatpur medical college with 700 beds. It is providing all sorts of medical services to the locals. http://www.cmsnepal.edu.np/pages/aboutinst.htm
- Narayani Community Hospital - This is a relatively new hospital and is located in the heart of the city, Chaubishkothi with 150 beds.
- Other important hospitals and nursing homes are Asha Hospital, Manakamana Hospital, Janasewa Hospital, Chitwan Hospital Pvt. Ltd., Om Hospital, Lok Sewa Pharmacy, Shanti hospital etc.
External links J