: ) (June 19
- ) is an eminent Dravidianist
and the most respected Indian linguist of his generation. He was a former Vice Chancellor of the Hyderabad Central University
(1986-93) and was a professor of linguistics at the Ddepartment of Linguistics at the Osmania University
(1962-86), which he also founded. His magnum opus The Dravidian Languages
is considered a landmark volume in the study of Dravidian linguistics. He was a student and a close associate of Prof. Emeneau
Contribution to linguistics
Krishnamurti is considered one of the pioneers in the study of comparative linguistics of the Dravidian languages
. His thesis 'Telugu Verbal Bases' (1961) is considered a milestone in the study of south-central Dravidian languages. His comprehensive grammar on or Kūbi is a monumental work in the area of non-literary Dravidian languages. His research was devoted to the central problems of phonology and morphology/syntax of Dravidian, and he made significant contributions in advancing our knowledge of comparative and historical Dravidian studies in the second half of the twentieth century. His Comparative Dravidian linguistics: Current perspectives
is a collection of twenty-one important articles published during the period 1955–1998, which provided outstanding solutions to many outstanding problems of Dravidian linguistics.
- 1961. Telugu Verbal Bases: A Comparative and Descriptive Study (UCPL 24). Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press (reprinted 1972).
- 1968a. (Ed.) Studies in Indian Linguistics (Professor M. B. Emeneau ipūrti Volume). Poona and Annamalainagar: Centres of Advanced Study in Linguistics.
- 1968b. A Basic Course in Modern Telugu. Hyderabad: Department of Linguistics, Osmania University (co authored with P.Sivananda Sarma). 2006. Reprinted by Telugu Akademi, Himayatnagar, Hyderabad.
- 1969. or Kūbi: A Dravidian Language. Hyderabad: Tribal Cultural Research and Training Institute.
- 1977. A Short Outline of Telugu Phonetics. Calcutta: Indian Statistical Institute (co-authored with Djordje Kostic' and A. Mitter).
- 1984. Modernization of Indian Languages in News Media. (Ed. with Aditi Mukherji). Hyderabad: Department of Linguistics, Osmania University.
- 1985. A Grammar of Modern Telugu (co authored with J.P.L.Gwynn). New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 1986. (Ed.) South Asian Languages: Structure, Convergence, and Diglossia (Proceedings of the Second International Conference of the South Asian Languages and Linguistics) (Assoc. eds. C. P. Masica and A. K. Sinha). Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
- 1992a. Dimensions of Sociolinguistics in South Asia (Papers in memory of Gerald Kelley).(Edited with Edward C. Dimock and Brah B.Kachru).Delhi: Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. P.Ltd.
- 1995. (co-authored with I. Ramabrahmam, C.R. Rao). Evaluation of Total Literacy Campaigns (Chittoor and Nizamabad Districts of Andhra Pradesh. Hyderabad: Book Links Corporation.
- 1998. Language, Education and Society. New Delhi: Sage India Private Ltd.
- 2001. Comparative Dravidian Linguistics: Current Perspectives. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2003. The Dravidian Languages (Cambridge Language Surveys). Cambridge University Press.
- 2004. (with Chaganti Vijayasree) eds. Gold Nuggets: An Anthology of Telugu Short Stories of the Post-Independence Period in Translation. New Delhi: Sahitya Akademi.
- 1962. (Ed. & Comp.) (A Telugu Dialect Dictionary of Occpational Vocabularies vol. I): Agriculture Vocabulary. Hyderabad: A.P. Sahitya Akademi. (Reprinted 1974).
- 1971. (Ed.) Tikkana padaprayōga kōśam (A Concordance of Tikkana's mahābhārata, a literary work of the 13th Century) (with A. Ramakrishna Rao & D.V. Avadhani), Vol.I. Hyderabad: A.P.Sahitya Akademi.
- 1972. (Ed. & Comp.) (A Telugu Dialect Dictionary of Occupational Vocabularies), Vol.II: Handloom Vocabulary. Hyderabad: A.P.Sahitya Akademi.
- 1974a. (Ed.) Tikkana padaprayōga kōśam (A Concordance of Tikkana's Māhābhārata, a literary work of the 13th Century) (with A. Ramakrishna Rao & D.V. Avadhani): Vol.II: Hyderabad: A.P. Sahitya Akademi.
- 1974b. (Ed.) Telugu bhāSā caritra (A History of the Telugu Language). Hyderabad: A.P. Sahitya Akademi. (2nd edition 1979; reprinted six times by Telugu University till 2006).
- 1977. (Ed.) Tikkana padaprayōga kōśam (A Concordance of Tikkana's Mahābhārata, a literary work of the 13th Century) (with A. Ramakrishna Rao & D.V. Avadhani), Vol.III: Hyderabad: A.P.Sahitya Akademi.
- 1980. janawācakam in 5 Vols (one primer and workbook, two readers and a teacher's guide for Telugu nonliterates) (co-authored with Eswara Reddy). Hyderabad: Director of Adult Education, Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- 1993. Tēlika telugu wācakam (Literacy Primer in Telugu, Parts I &II). Hyderabad: Visalandhra Publishers.
- 1996. Ed. Bhāratīya Sāhityam: Samakālika kathānikalu (Contemporary Indian Short Stories) [in English] (with Budaraju Radhakrishna). New Delhi: Sahitya Akademi.
- 1998. cinnanāTi padyālu (Poems of Younger Days). Hyderabad : Author.
- 1999. (Language, Society and Culture). Hyderabad : Nilkamal Publishers.
- Telugu Verbal Bases: A Comparative and Descriptive Study by Bhadriraju Krishnamurti Published 1961. University of California Press, 1961. ISBN 0608110523
- Comparative Dravidian linguistics: Current perspectives by Bhadriraju Krishnamurti. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001. ISBN 0198241224.
- The Dravidian Languages by Krishnamurti, Bhadriraju. Cambridge University Press, 2003 ISBN 0521771110.
- , 2000 ISBN 81-86804-46-3