was a parliamentary constituency
in the Bethnal Green
area of the East End of London
, which returned one Member of Parliament
to the House of Commons
of the Parliament of the United Kingdom
until it was abolished for the February 1974 general election
It was then partly replaced by the new Bethnal Green and Bow constituency.
This area was part of the historic county of Middlesex
, from which it had been severed for administrative purposes on the creation of the County of London
The constituency, when created in 1950, comprised the whole of the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green in the County of London. In 1955 part of the Metropolitan Borough of Hackney was added to the seat. The wards involved were Triangle, Victoria and Wick.
In 1965 Bethnal Green became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in Greater London. Hackney was expanded to form the London Borough of Hackney.
Members of Parliament
- Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Reference Publications 1972)