Beauchief and Greenhill ward—which includes the districts of Batemoor, Beauchief, Chancet Wood, Greenhill, Jordanthorpe, and Lowedges—is one of the 28 electoral wards in City of Sheffield, England. It is located in the southern part of the city and covers an area of . The population of this ward in 2001 was 18,600 people in 8,900 households.
It is one of the five wards that form the Sheffield Heeley parliamentary constituency.
The districts of this ward were in the historic county of Derbyshire, but they were annexed into the county borough of Sheffield in 1934 associated with the West Riding of Yorkshire, and were thus included in the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire in 1974.
Beauchief, generally pronounced "bee-chiff", is notable for two buildings, still surrounded by parkland: Beauchief Abbey and Beauchief Hall.
The abbey was founded in 1175, Beauchief Abbey was the only Premonstratensian abbey in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The ruined abbey buildings were dismantled to provide stone for the construction of Beauchief Hall in 1671 with the exception of the bell tower. The tower area was converted into the Pegge family chapel, the interior displays several armorial plaques of Pegge family members.
The carp pond is well known spot for local anglers.
Beauchief abbey farm was built around 1700. The farm, as well as its pond, fed the monks.
The path up to Bradway passes near Beauchief Hall.
The hall and grounds passed from the family with the sale of the property by Edward Strelley Pegge Burnell in 1923. Ending Joseph Hunters statement in Hallamshire 1819 that "We have in this family an instance, which by some has been supposed rare, of the direct descendants of the original grantee possessing and residing upon the abbey-lands granted to their ancestor"
Since 1923 the house has served as a school (De la Salle College), a hotel and now currently as headquarters of a software company .
The hall is said to be haunted by both the Lady in White and a monk .
Beauchief also had a railway station situated on Abbey Lane. See Beauchief railway station for full article.
Greenhill, generally pronounced "grennell" or "green hill" if you lived there or in Bradway, has a library, primary school, church and shops. There are also several bus routes into the centre including the 1, 76, 25, 25A, M17 and 275, which even goes into Derbyshire.
Local Transport - First South Yorkshire 76 (High Green - Lowedges via. City Centre) (Blue Line) and 53 (Ecclesfield - Lowedges via. City Centre) terminate at Lowedges Terminus. These are high frequency buses during day time.
The estate was built circa 1964, and consists largely of prefabricated flat-roofed housing, along with blocks of maisonettes/flats.
It borders on the Derbyshire countryside and farming country, being only a couple of miles from the villages of Coal Aston and Holmesfield and on the edge of the town of Dronfield.
The estate is served by a main bus route, a public house called (appropriately) The Batemoor, and a newly built Infant & Junior school. It is also near the Jordanthorpe Shopping Centre.
Main roads lead to the M1 motorway, and Dronfield railway station is nearby.
Local Transport - First South Yorkshire 75 (Sheffield Lane Top - Batemoor via. City Centre) (Blue Line) terminates at Jordanthrope. This is a high frequency bus during day time.