Bardo  (Wartha) is a town in Ząbkowice Śląskie County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It is the seat of the administrative district (gmina) called Gmina Bardo.
The town lies on the Nysa Kłodzka river, approximately south-west of Ząbkowice Śląskie, and south of the regional capital Wrocław. As at 2006, the Bardo has a population of 2,860.
Bardo was founded in the 10th century
as a defensive gord
. The surrounding area was populated by Slavic peoples
tribes and Bardo's castellans
were Polish knights. Its chapel was built in the 10th century, and it was first mentioned in 1189 as being owned by the Knights Hospitaller
. By 1290 the gord had lost its strategic importance and ceased to exist as a castellany
. By 1299 the whole area had been bought by the Cistercian order
and was owned by them until 1810. Along with most of Silesia
, it passed from Germany
to Poland at the end of World War II
Bardo gained the status of a town in the early 14th century, but this was lost as the result of the destruction caused by World War II. It became the seat of a gmina in 1954, and was granted town status again in 1969.
Historic buildings still existing in Bardo include a Baroque church and a 15th-century stone bridge.