S.Bangarappa (born 26 October, 1932) is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Shimoga constituency of Karnataka and is a member of the Samajwadi Party (SP) political party.
He was the founder of Karnataka Vikas Party and Karnataka Congress Party. He was born on 26 October 1932 in Kubatur village of Shimoga District in Karnataka, India. His father was the late Shri Kallappa and his mother was Kallamma. He was married on 1 January 1958 to Smt. Shakuntala. He has a fondness from badminton. He has two sons, Kumar Bangarappa and Madhu Bangarappa.
He has bachelors degree's in arts and law. He also has a Diploma in Social Science.
Career in politics
- 1967-96 Member, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- 1977-78 Minister of State, Home, Government of Karnataka
- 1978-79 Cabinet Minister, P.W.D., Government of Karnataka
- 1979-80 President, Pradesh Congress Committee [P.C.C. (I)], Karnataka
- 1980-81 Minister, Revenue and Agriculture, Government of Karnataka
- 1985-87 Leader of Opposition, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- 1989-90 Minister, Agriculture and Horticulture, Government of Karnataka
- 1990-92 Chief Minister, Karnataka
- 1996 Elected to 11th Lok Sabha
- 1999 Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1999-2000 Member, Committee on Defence
- 1999-2000 Member, Committee on Petitions
- 2000-2001 Member, Committee on Estimates
- 2000-2004 Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Textiles
- 2004 Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha(3rd term) Member from Shimoga as a Bharatiya Janata Party candidate, Committee to review the Rate of Dividend payable BY the Railway Undertaking to General Revenues, Member, Committee on Defence
- 10.3.2005 Left BJP to join the Samajwadi Party and resigned from Lok Sabha.
- 02.6.2005 Re-elected to Lok Sabha in a bye-election from Samajawadi party .