Balhousie Castle, located in Perth, Scotland (on Hay Street, originally a few hundred metres north of the medieval town), dates to 1631, though its origins are believed to go back a further three hundred years. It originally served as the seat of the Earls of Kinnoull, and stood within a walled enclosure containing subsidiary buildings, orchards etc. on a terrace overlooking the North Inch (a large public park) of Perth.
After falling into neglect in the early 19th century, the Castle was 'restored' (in fact, virtually rebuilt), and extensively remodelled on a larger scale in 1862-63 in the Baronial style by the architect David Smart. No original features survive except for parts of the original rubble walls on the east side.
In 1962, the Castle became the regimental headquarters and museum of the Black Watch. The latter displays the history of the regiment from 1739 to the present (no entrance charge). Still owned by the MOD, regimental trustees announced plans in September 2008 to purchase the Castle to secure the museums future.
Black Watch Draws Up Battle Plans to Save Historic HQ; Line of Fire: The Black Watch Goes into Action during the Crimean War. Above: Balhousie Castle
Sep 03, 2008; Byline: Jamie Beatson FROM Fontenoy in Flanders to Fallujah in Iraq, the Black Watch has taken part in some of the greatest...