Auckland International College
(often abbreviated AIC
) is a private coeducational secondary school in Auckland
, New Zealand
. It adopts the IB Diploma Programme
as its sole curriculum. It also offers a Preparation Year Programme for IB Diploma course (Year 11) to allow students to prepare for the IB curriculum. Students in the Preparation Year programme can get a taste of all of the school's subject offerings. Activities, sports and a research project of 2,000 words form part of the Preparation Year programme. The school runs with a Northern Hemisphere timetable, as the school year commences in July, and students sit their final IB examinations in May.
AIC offers a wide range of subject choices in the standard IB "Hexagon" format:
- Group 1 : English A1, Japanese A1, Vietnamese A1, Korean A1, Chinese A1, and other languages A1 Self-taught
- Group 2 : English A2, English B, Japanese B, Chinese B, French B, Chinese "ab initio" and Spanish "ab initio"
- Group 3 : Economics, History, Geography, Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS) and Environmental Systems*
- Group 4 : Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Environmental Systems *
- Group 5 : Mathematics and Mathematical Studies
- Group 6 : Visual Arts OR any other subject from the lists above
- Environmental Systems can fulfil the IB requirements for Group 3 and/or Group 4.
AIC has a sister school, the AICJ Oshu Gakuen in Hiroshima, Japan, set up by the Oshu Corporation in April 2006.
- July 2003: AIC is established with the funding of the Oshu Corporation Japan; Carolyn Solomon is appointed as Principal.
- January 2006: Craig Monaghan takes over as Principal of AIC; Carolyn Solomon moves into the role of Executive Principal.
- May 2006: The inaugural Class of 2006 graduates from AIC. Two students (Imogene Scott and Naomi Jones) achieve the perfect score in the IB examinations, May 2006.
- December 2006: Craig Monaghan resigns as Principal; Roger Lewis is Acting Principal from January to April 2007.
- April 2007: Anne Willmann is appointed as AIC's new Principal.
- May 2008: The Dux for 2008, Natalie Kim, achieves a perfect score in the IB examinations.