The project was instigated by Bill Aston, who decided to build a car for Formula Two; the chassis was a copy of the Cooper Formula Two, fitted with a flat-four engine devised by Archie Butterworth. (It has been suggested by several authors that a more accurate name for the car would be Cooper-AJB.) The car made its debut in April, 1952 in the Lavant Cup at Goodwood, finishing eighth with Aston at the wheel. In May a second car was added, driven by Robin Montgomerie-Charrington and driven at Chimay in June, where Montgomerie-Charrington achieved the team's best finish: third place.
Aston continued to appear in races throughout the 1953 season but there was never enough money to develop the program properly and when the new F1 regulations came in 1954 the story of Aston-Butterworth came to an end.