Based on figures from the Central Statistical Agency in 2005, this town has an estimated total population of 84,645, of whom 40,552 were males and 44,093 were females. The 1994 national census reported this town had a total population of 47,391 of whom 21,993 were males and 25,398 were females. This town is the largest of three in Tiyo woreda.
In 1946, a Swedish Mission laid the foundations for a hospital and a school in Asella, which was ordered closed in 1966 when a government hospital was built. The town was subjected to a serious epidemic of dysentery during 1953, and a locust invasion in April 1961. In 1957 Asella was the southern end of the national telephone network, and by 1960 Asella had one of the ten municipal slaughter houses in Ethiopia; further, that year a branch of the Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority had begun operation in the town.
Genetic variation at apolipoprotein E locus in Ethiopia: An E5 variant corresponds to two different mutant alleles: E*5 (Glu212Lys) and E*5 (Gln204Lys; Cys112Arg)
Apr 01, 2003; Abstract A previous investigation on apolipoprotein E polymorphism in the Ethiopian population highlighted the presence of a...