38.6978 (38° 41' 53") N 22.0295 (22° 1' 53") E
| Population: (2001)|
-Village (Change from 1991)
-Percent of the municipal district
-Percent of the municipality
499 (+204 or +62.58%)
|Postal code:||GR-330 59|
|Car designation (as of 2006):|| |
Artotina (Greek: Αρτοτίνα) also with the second i accented is a Greek village in the municipality of Vardousia since 1998, it is in the northwestern part of the Phocis prefecture. Artotina is located west of Amfissa.
|Year||Settlement population||Change|| Percent of the|
|1991||285||-41 or -12.58%||-|
|2001||499||+204 or +62.58%||22.52%|
Kefalochori and Kapetanochori in the northwestern part of Dorida. It is built at 1,350 next to the Plaka, Pano and Kato Psilo, Alogorachi (Αλογόραχη) and Soufles (Σούφλες) peaks, all over 2,000 m. Much of the area are mountainous, forests covers most of the area, farmlands are within the village and barren lands are in the highermost portions.
In the ancient times, the residents of the village has roots dating back to around 13th century and 10th century BC from that time, the first residents of Artotina were Aetolians. According to historian and archaeologists in the village of Artotina had with the entrance of Dorians and still during the Macedonian years.
The area was later invaded by Achaeans, Macedonians, Galatians, Romans and Goths with the destruction of the ancient city of Doris. Later, the Slavs, the Bulgarians, the Catalans, Normans, Turks, etc. Artotina and its surrounding villages preserved their Greek culture.
During the Greek War of Independence, it had several revolutionaries including Skaltsodimos, Safakas, Gerantonos, Kaliakoudas and more.
Artotina founded the foot by the Evinos river and by the springs is Vardousia with trails and forest roads. In which the basics of road journeys starts in Amfissa and to Evrytania and Phthiotis. It was the capital of the old municipality of Vomeas until 1912 and they became communities around the villages. It had an all boys achool until 1946. It had residents from those classes including the naval architect and executive Lavidas, the biochemist Lavidas, Regkouzas, the sargeant Zaronikos, Koustas and many more. Today's population is 499 in 2001, it has 100 during the winter months and 1,500 during the summer months.
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, many of the buildings were rebuilt. Houses were stone-built until the 1950s and did not surpass modern-style homes until the 1980s. It was linked with pavement in the 1980s. Most of the homes are abandoned today.