Arnold Wycombe Gomme
) was a British classical scholar
, Lecturer in Greek and Greek History (1911–1945), Professor of Greek, University of Glasgow
(1946–1957). Fellow of the British Academy
He was born the son of Laurence and Alice Gomme
, noted folklore experts. He studied at Merchant Taylor’s School and Trinity College, Cambridge
. In 1911 he became Assistant Lecturer in Greek and Greek History at the University of Glasgow and in 1946 Professor of Greek at the same university. His major work was his commentary on Thucydides
. The first volume of this was published in 1945. The theft of a suitcase set back the following two volumes to 1956. At his death the work was unfinished (he had left notes on Book 5); and A. Andrewes and K.J. Dover wrote the final volumes.
- The Population of Athes in the Fifth and Fourth Centuries B.C. (Glasgow University Publications; XXVIII). Oxford: Blackwell, 1933.
- Essays in Greek History and Literature. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1937.
- Greece. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1945.
- A Historical Commentary on Thucydides.
- Vol. I: Introduction and Commentary on Book I. Oxford: Clarendon Press; Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1945.
- Vols. II–III: The Ten Years' War (Books II–III and Books IV–V). Oxford: Clarendon Press; Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1956.
- Vol. IV: Books V.25–VII (with A. Andrewes and K.J. Dover). Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1970.
- Vol. V: Book VIII (with A. Andrewes and K.J. Dover). Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1981.
- The Greek Attitude to Poetry and History (Sather Classical Lectures; XXVII). Berkeley; Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1954.
- More Essays in Greek History and Literature, edited by David A. Campbell. Oxford: Blackwell, 1962.
- Andrewes, A. "Arnold Wycombe Gomme†", Gnomon 32 (1960), 190-1.
- Kitto, H.D.F. "Arnold Wycombe Gomme: [Obituary]", The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol. 79. (1959), pp. 1–2.