Jose Ariel Jimenez Rivera was born in Manila, Philippines in 1966 but has since migrated with his family and became a Canadian citizen. Ariel Rivera was an architect in Canada before his singing talent was accidentally discovered while vacationing in the Philippines. He has since become a successful singer-songwriter, actor, and Aliw award-winning artist.
Ariel Rivera was born on September 1
. He has four siblings.
In 1989, Musiko Entertainment signed the 23 year old to their label. His debut was crafted very carefully and was labeled as their "Next Big Thing." After two years, his self-titled debut album was finally ready for release. The first single, "Sana Kahit Minsan" was a #1 pop-r&b crossover hit. The album went 3x platinum. In 1991, he quickly released his second album, Simple Lang
. This album also went 3x platinum.
In 1992, Ariel Rivera decided to take a chance at acting. His first starring role in the film Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal
earned him a Best Supporting Actor award in the 1992 Metro Manila Film Festival. A lead role opposite Sharon Cuneta
in 1993's "Ikaw" made him a bankable leading actor. He also co-starred in Isang sulok ng mga pangarap
(1994); Anghel na walang langit
Minsan May Pangarap: The Guce Family Story
(1995); May nagmamahal sa iyo
(1996), Ikaw pala ang mahal ko
(1997) and Bata, bata ... Paano ka ginawa?
- 1992: Metro Manila Film Festival Best Supporting Actor for "Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal"
- 2005: 2nd Golden Screen [Entertainment TV] AwardsOutstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for "Forever In My Heart" (GMA-7)
Return to music
In 1994, Ariel began recording new material for his next album, Photograph
was released in the spring of 1995. The album would earn critical acclaim. His album would turn Gold in the Philippines.
Ariel married actress Gelli de Belen
at Santuario de San Jose on December 22 1997
; they have two sons: Joaquin Andres (born on January 29 1999
) and Julio Alessandro (born on November 4 2000
Filipino Music Awards
- 1992: Best Performance by a New Male Recording Artist
- 1997: Music Video of the Year (Tunay Na Ligaya )
- 1999: Best Vocal Performance of the Year by a Duo/Group: "I Don't Love You Anymore" with Lea Salonga
Ariel Rivera Quotes
"I was surprised. I was riding a jeepney then. So I whispered to my cousin that it was my song being played on the radio." - on hearing his song on the radio for the first time
"I was so nervous then. I kept rushing in and out of the comfort room. I felt sick." - on his concert stage debut
"I speak my mind. I don’t care whether other people like my opinion or not. I don’t sugar-coat. I am honest and I am true to my word."
"I’ve never looked at my job as a stepping stone to something bigger. Rather, I consider it as a blessing. I’ve reached my goal. Being happy with myself, with my family, and with my life."
“Maloko! I like to play practical jokes on the set like throwing things, making light of the situation.” - when asked for one adjective that would best describe his personality
"Family always comes first. Even if I am presented with the best project in the business, if I think it would interfere or adversely affect my family, I will not accept it. It’s always my family first."
"There’s no need to insinuate anything because I really love my wife. I will never give rumor-mongers the chance to even think that a reconciliation (between me and Regine) is possible. That’s the way to handle things in this industry. It’s really best to stop intrigues even before they start. Otherwise it would just become bigger and bigger."
"Firm, but at the same time approachable." -describing himself as a father
- Mula Sa Puso (ABS-CBN)
- A.S.A.P. (ABS-CBN)
- Sa Linggo nAPO Sila (ABS-CBN)
- 1896 TV Series (ABC 5)
- GMA Telecine Specials (GMA Network)
- GMA Mini Series (GMA Network)
- GMA True Stories (GMA Network)
- GMA Love Stories (GMA Network)
- Spotlight on Ariel Rivera (GMA Network)
- Forever In My Heart (GMA Network)
- Narito Ang Puso Ko (GMA Network)
- Mahiwagang Baul (GMA Network)
- Magpakailanman: The Willy Garte Story (GMA Network)
- Sugo (GMA Network)
- Atlantika (GMA Network) - Barracud
- Fantastic Man (GMA Network)
- S.O.P. (GMA Network) - guest performer
- Kamandag (GMA Network) - Abdon Serrano
- Luna Mystica (GMA Network) - soon!