) (Tamil: அரக்கோணம்) is a mid-sized town in the Indian
state of Tamil Nadu
with a population of about 77,000. This town is located in the Vellore District
(via rail) from the state capital of Chennai
Arakkonam is supposedly one of the hottest towns in India (next to Vellore), where the mercury can exceed 110 degrees Fahrenheit for several days in peak of the summer.
The name of the town is believed to have been derived from the Tamil
word Aaru konam
(ancient name was "arunthamizh kundram
"), since it has six important places on its six sides. Nearby towns include Kanchipuram
, Thakkolam,Manavoor and Sholingur
. Arakkonam is one of the important railway
junctions in South India
. The station was known as Arkonam until a few years ago. It is an important junction since the Chennai
line branches off from the line going to Bangalore
, and Kerala
. There is also a branch line to Chengalpattu
. However, many trains coming from Bangalore
side to Mumbai
side bypass the station through an avoiding line.
Arakkonam is also one of the biggest junctions in Southern Railway and many trains stop at this station. The town has one of the biggest workshops for the southen railways, known as Engineering Workshop (EWS).A Frequently Electric Train Facility is also available towards Chennai.
The Second bigest FCI(Food Corpration of India ) in tamilnadu. It is use to store all types of food grins for a long time.
Transport facility on Road is also available to all major city and Towns.
The runway at INS Rajali, a naval Air base of the Indian Navy in Arakkonam is, at 4500 metres, the longest in South Asia. MRF tyres, Ramco cements, L&T cements, TVS, Tamil Nadu Steel Plan, TTL have their plants in the town. The Steel plan & TTL are now hand over to private sectors.
As of 2006
, Arakonam had a population of 82,500. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Arakonam has an average literacy rate of 80.2% higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Thiruvalankadu Vadaaranyeswarar Temple
Thevara Padal Petra Shiva Temple of Thondai Nadu - One of the 275 temples of Lord Shiva. Located at 15 km towards east of Arakkonam.
are the languages spoken by the most. Hindi
is also spoken, due to the presence of military establishments.
Arakkonam assembly constituency (SC) is part of Arakkonam (Lok Sabha constituency)
. DMK alliance candidate APLF M Jaganmoorthy won Arakkonam assembly constituencyfor 2006.
- Govt.AdiDravidar welfare higher secondary school(Boys)
- Govt.AdiDravidar welfare higher secondary school(Girls)
- Govt.AdiDravidar welfare primary school
- Municipality Middle School, Winterpet
- Govt. Boys Hr. Secondary School
- Givt. Girls Hr. Secondary School,Housing Board
- CSI Central Higher Secondary School
- St Andrews Higher Seconday School
- Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- GoodWill Nursery & Primary School
- Valluvar Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Steelplant Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- SMS Vimal Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Vivekanada Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Bharathidasanar Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Dr. V. G. N Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Selvam Matriculation Higher sec. school
- Mahathma Gandhiji visited to Govt.AdiDravidar welfare primary school. The ADW schools only serve to the poor and Backword cast students.
- CSI Central High Secondary School, in the center of the town, is one of the oldest schools in India, having recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. This School was controlled & Managed by the CSI Madras Dioses. Nearly 4000 students studing at this school. This school serve to the nation for more than 109 years
- St.Andrew's High Secondary School, is also in the center of the town, is one of the oldest schools in India, having recently celebrated its 150th anniversary. This School was controlled & Managed by the CSI Madras Dioses. Nearly 5000 students studing at this school. This school serve to the nation for more than 159 years
- V.S. Isaac College Of Education,Attupakkam, Arakkonam
- Christian Teacher Traning Instution,Attupakkam,Arakkonam
- Sri Krishna Polytechnic, Near Mangammapet gate
- Arakkonam College of Arts and Science,Tiruttani Road,(near MRF),Arakkonam
- Mercury college of Arts and Science,Sholinger Road,Arakkonam
- Ramco Cement Factory
- Tiruvalangadu Sugar Factory
- Steel plant
- Ultratech cements
- MRF Ltd.
- Spinnig Mills