(అనంతపురం) is a city (population: 466,359) and a municipal corporation
in Anantapur district
in the state of Andhra Pradesh
. It is the headquarters
of the Anantapur District, and is the second largest district in India after Ladakh (district in the state of Kashmir). Anantapur is the hometown of former President of the Republic of India, Shri Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy.
Anantapuram is located at . It has an average elevation of 335 metres
As of 2006
, Anantapuram has a population of 360,951 (agglomeration 466,359)in City Corporation and has around 6 Lakhs along with Raptadu Tapovanam Sk University and other extensions. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Anantapur has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 56% of the males and 44% of females literate. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.Telugu,Kannada and English are the predominant languages of this district.
of Anantapuram has a population of 360,951 (agglomeration
466,359) as per the 2006 census
. It is a fast growing city that has been upgraded to a city with population of around 5 Lakhs
(=500,000). Anantapur is known for its tourist attraction. Bhagvan Satya Sai Baba is born in Anantapur Dist near puttaparthy and studied in Uravakonda in Anantapur (dist).
- Acorn Embedded Systems Private Limited
- Sorokasoft (India) Private Limited
- Pandit View Software Private Limited.
- ValueInfotech (BPO).
- iwebion Technologies
- Adhuna Technologies.
- Maa Technologies.
- elite BPO Services.
- Aasha infotech(BPO/IT Solutions.
- Veda IT world(Medical Transcription training).
- Sam Infotech (BPO)
Computer Training Institutions
- Neo Institute of Hardware Technology (computer hardware training institution), Kamala Nagar.
- Soft-Tech Computers, 2nd Road
- NR Computers, Ramachandra Nagar
- ADI, Anantapur Development Initiative
- Empowerment Society for Skills Enhancement
Anantapur is an important education center. Hereunder are some of educational institutions in and around the city:
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University
- University College of Education, Sri Krishnadevaraya University (University Campus)
- Javaharlal Nehru Technological University (Covers Rayalaseema and nellore district's engineering colleges from 2008-09)
- Govt Arts College (Autonomous)
- SSBN PG College
- Sri Sai College of Nursing
- Government Medical College
- Government Junior College for Boys, New Town
- Kasturba College of Physiotheraphy
- Sri Balaji Educational Society, with over 20 institutions in Anantapur District
- PVKK Institute of Technology (Starting 2008)
- PVKK PG College
- Ragavendra college of Pharmacy
- Little flower group of schools and B.E.D college
- Police Training College
- Govt Polytechnic College
- Sri Satya Sai baba BEd College, Penukonda
- Anantapur Development Initiative
- Sri Krishnadevaraya Engineering College (University Campus)
- Moula Ali Engineering College
- INTELLECTUAL Engineering College, (formerly INTELL engineering college)
- Sri Balayesu Educational Institutes,Hindupur.
- Gates Institute of Technology, (Gooty,47 km away from Anantapur)
- Sri Krishnadevaraya Engineering College, Gooty
- SV Degree & PG college
- Sri Satya Sai Educational Institutions
- INTELL M.C.A College
- Sri Vani PG College
- CVLNR PG College
- Sri Balaji pg collge
- Besant PG College
- CMI Degree College
- Sri sai degree college
- Corporate Colleges like Nalanda, SriChaitanya, Narayana etc
- ViswaBharathi English medium school
- Vivekananda Educational Academy Chittoor, Anantapur, Kadapa etc
- Concept schools like Narayana e-techno schools,Keshava Reddy Talent Schools etc
- Sri Rama Rural Development And Educational Soceity Anantapur,Andhra Pradesh,India.
- SPVM degree college, Gorantla (Anantapur dist) by Mr.Bhakthavatsalam (principal)
- The greater gownipalli Z.P.High school
- Baba Residential Learning Centre, Brahmanapalli,Puttaparthi
Government Arts College(affectionately known as The Grand Old Lady of Rayalaseema) Anantapuram, established in the year 1916. The college boasts a long list of high profile alumni including India’s former presidents, Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan and Dr. Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy; Former Chief Ministers of Andhra Pradesh like Sri Damodaram Sajeevaiah and Kotla Vijayabhaskar Reddy; and other persons like Dr U.R. Rao, former Chairman, ISRO and Y. Venugopala Reddy, the present Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
Internet Service Provider
- Sree Ganesh Communications : Cable Internet Service Provider (Myguru online Franchisee)
- Lakshmi Communications Cable and Wireless Internet Service Provider
- BSNL : http://ap.bsnl.co.in
Being a District headquarters, Anantapur is a financial centre. Jewellery, Gold business and cinema seem to have a special place.
Most nationalised banks have branches in Anantapur. Some of these banks have ATM and locker facilities. Following is a list of some banks in Anantapur:
- State Bank of India (ATM)
- Andhra Bank (ATM)
- Syndicate Bank (ATM)
- HDFC Bank (ATM)
- Indus Ind Bank (ATM)
- ICICI Bank (ATM)
- Axis Bank (ATM)
- Karur Vysya Bank (ATM)
- Vijaya Bank
- Bank of Baroda (ATM)
- Indian Overseas Bank (ATM)
- Canara Bank [ATM]
- State bank of Hyderabad ATM
- Andhra Pragathi Grameena Bank
- City Union Bank (ATM)
- UCO Bank (ATM)
- Corporation Bank (ATM)
- Indian Bank
- ING Vysya Bank (ATM)
- DCCB Bank
- Karnataka Bank
- Bank of India(ATM)
- IDBI bank(ATM)
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank
Anantapur has many sports facilities and has played host to Irani cup in 1963-64 when Rest of India scored their lowest total of 83 against the then Ranji trophy winners Bombay played at Sanjeeva Reddy stadium. Several Ranji trophy matches and other regional tournamants for basketball, bll badminton, etc. have been hosted in Anantapur. Hereunder are some notable sports facilities:
- RDT (Rural Development Trust) developed RDT Sports center Stadium for Ranji Trophy
- Sri Neelam Sanjeeava Reddy Stadium at Police Training College
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University Stadium
- Police Parade ground.
- Police Training College.
- L&T(BIRLASOFT) cement industry
- PENNA Cement Industry
- Saptagiri Camphors Pvt Ltd (Largest Camphor factory in India)
- Anantha PVC Pipes (Nandi brand pipes)
- Zenith Hardware Industries Pvt Ltd
- Siflon Drugs Pvt Ltd
- Hema Industries
- M.G.Metallic Springs (P) Limited.
- Anantapur Government General Hospital, Ram Nagar Road
- Anantapur Orthopaedic Center
- Snehalatha Nursing Home
- Devi Nursing Home
- Meda Nursing Home, Ramachandra Nagar.
- Divya Sree Nursing Home (near Guild of Service School)
- Jeevana Jyothi Hospital
- Sai Krupa Nursing Home
- Ashwini Nursing Home
- Mamatha Nursing Home
- Balaji Nursing Home
- Medinova Hospetal
- Aasha Hospital
- KK Nursing Home, Kamala Nagar.
- Shanthi Nursing Home
- Meda Nursing Home
- Rafi praja clinic (gownipalli)
- Sri Sai Balaji Hospital, Kamala Nagar.
It gives good information when the contact details of Doctors in this hospitals along with complete clinical address
Stay in Anantapur
- Ashoka Lodge-Kamala nagar
- SRS Regency (***)- Kamala Nagar
- Hotel Saptagiri (***)- Saptagiri circle
- Hotel Sri Balaji - Saptagiri circle
- CVR LODGE - CVR Circle R.F.Road
- Mayuri Lodge - R.F Road
- Hotel Nama Residency - Subhash Road
- Hotel Sampoorna - Railway Feeder Road
- Hotel Bheema - Railway Feeder Road
- Prashanthi Lodge - Rajiv Gandhi Circle
- Hotel Hari priya - Rajiv Gandhi Circle
- Hotel Amaravathi - Raju Road
- Hotel Swagath - Railway Feeder Road
- Annapoorna Lodge- Raju Road
- Vittal Lodge (Clock Towers)
- madhura hotels-kamala nagar
- HariKrupa Towers-Railway Feeder Road
- Varsha Lodge-Sreekantam Circle
Food in Anantapur
- Sanman Hotel-Raju Road
- Sree Sagar (near sapthagiri circle)
- Spice Touch (Above hotel sujatha)
- Amrut sagar
- Parklane, Subash Road.
Places of interest in and around Anantapur
- Mallapuram mountains at 68 Kms from Anantapur
- Anantapur Clock Tower is in the heart of the city which brings back the memories of the Independence days during which it has been built.
- Lepakshi Temple (is renowned as the repository of the best mural paintings of the Vijayanagar Kings. Lepakshi consists of three shrines dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and 'Virabhadra'). The temple is decorated with superbly sculptured pillars on which are carved life-size representations of musicians and dancers in various poses displaying spirit and vigour. One can also see the world's largest Nandi (stone sculpture of the bull which Lord Shiva rides and the gate keeper of the Shiva) lepakshi is 14 km from Hindupur
- Puttaparthi, Prasanthi Nilayam (Home of Sri Satya Sai and to many facilities such as super speciality hospital, educational institutions, founded by Sri Satya Sai)
- Thimmamarri manu (A large Banyan tree spread over five acres of land near Kadiri. This tree was recorded as the biggest tree in the Guinness Book of World Records in 1989)
- Venkateswara Swamy Temple & Shiva Temple in Tadipatri. Architectural beauty.
- Hanuman temple, Kasapuram, near to Guntakal
- Belum Caves (natural Caves), 15 km from Tadipatri.
- Sri Nallalamma swamy Temple in the village Kanampalli, approximately 22 km from Anantapur.
- Sri Nagalingeswara swamy Temple in the village [[Neelampalli]], approximately 12 km from Anantapur.
- Buttre pally waterfall near kadiri 15 km from kadiri which falls only in rainy season.
- Lakshmi Narasimha swamy temple Pennaohbulam which is 35 km from Ananthapur.
- Kadiri Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple famous for the idol sweating(Official website: http://www.srikadirinarasimha.org)
- Devarakonda only hill in Anantapur has a temple at the top.
- ISKCON temple on the outskirts of the city on NH 7.
- Temple of Lord Siva and Parvathi in Kuderu 20 km from Anantapur.
- Temple of Sri Subramanyeswara Swamy in Pampanuru 20km from Anantapur.
- Temple of Sri Shiva in Kandukaru village 10km from Anantapur (Old temple found in diggings).
- PENUKONDA (Ghanagiri)70 kms from Anantapur and 120 kms from Bangalore Air port : Biggest Hanuman Statue laid from 14th century at entrance of Penukonda, Port wall, Timmarusu Samadhi, Big Narasimha swamy temple and big tank at hill top, One of the oldest Jain temple in the world (Pache Parswanatha swamy temple ), Gagan Mahal (Summer resort for empire Krishna devaraya ) are located in only Spiritual Town i.e. Penukonda.
Anantapur City is well connected to most major cities in India by the National Highways 7 and 205.
Anantapur also has direct train connection to Hyderabad, Bangalore, Mumbai, New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Bhubaneswar, Pune, Vishakapatnam, etc.
Puttaparthi which is 80 km south of Anantapur is the nearest airport with scheduled air services while Bangalore, 160 km away has an international airport and is well connected to rest of India.
Auto-rickshaws, taxis and city buses are available for local transportation within Anantapur.
Rental Cars are also available.