(บ้านหมี่) is a district (Amphoe
) in the western part Lopburi Province
, central Thailand
The district war created in 1883, then named Sanam Chaeng. When the district office was moved to Ban Huay Kaew, the district name was changed to Huay Kaew as well. When in 1898 the Thai Government built the Northern Railway through the district, the district center was moved to Ban Sao (Thai บ้านเซ่า) and the district name was changed back to Sanam Chaeng. In 1914 it was renamed to Ban Sao as the name of Tambon of the district center. Finally the Thai Government changed the name to Ban Mi in 1940.
The name Ban Mi is the name of an old town of Phuan people that migrated from Laos to Siam around 1870. The name originates from a hand weaving method to weave cotton or silk fabric, named Mat Mi(มัดหมี่) in Thai.
Neighboring districts are (from the northeast clockwise) Nong Muang
, Khok Samrong
, Mueang Lop Buri
, Tha Wung
of Lopburi, In Buri
of Singburi Province
, and Takhli
of Nakhon Sawan Province
The water resource of Ban Mi is then Bang Kham River and Khlong Anusasanan.
The district is subdivided into 22 subdistricts (tambon
), which are further subdivided into 157 villages (muban
). The town (thesaban mueang
) Ban Mi
covers the whole tambon
Ban Mi. There are further 21 Tambon administrative organizations (TAO).