All the World's a Stooge is the 55th short subject starring American slapstick comedy team the Three Stooges. The trio made a total of 190 shorts for Columbia Pictures between 1934 and 1959.
Wealthy Mr. Bullion (Emory Parnell
) is up in arms when his eccentric wife (Lelah Tyler
) informs him that she wants to adopt a refugee
. After taking a trip to his dentist, Mr. Bullion meets the Stooges, who are inept window washers calling themselves "refugees." He then has a very nasty idea to disabuse his wife of her philanthropic notion: pass these three nitwits off as refugee children.
Mrs. Bullion is naturally thrilled at the sight of the Stooges (who are dressed as children, in large sailor suits and moptop curly wigs), but she ends up regretting their adoption after a party is thrown in their honor — and Mr. Bullion is beginning to regret concocting this scheme to begin with. The festivities are interrupted when an angered Mr. Bullion chases after the Stooges swinging an ax.
- The title of the film parodes William Shakespeare's "All the world's a stage.
- Adopting refugees from European countries was a common event amongst society people during World War II.
- Moe Howard and the Three Stooges; by Moe Howard , (Citadel Press, 1977).
- The Three Stooges Scrapbook; by Jeff Lenburg, Joan Howard Maurer, Greg Lenburg (Citadel Press, 1994).
- The Three Stooges: An Illustrated History, From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons; by Michael Fleming (Broadway Publishing, 2002).
- One Fine Stooge: A Frizzy Life in Pictures; by Steve Cox and Jim Terry , (Cumberland House Publishing, 2006).