Alberta Hospital Edmonton is a psychiatric hospital operating under the governance of Capital Health. It is located in the northeastern quadrant of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and was founded on 1 July, 1923.
Admission and continuing treatment at Alberta Hospital Edmonton can be voluntary, formal under the Mental Health Act, or in the Forensic Psychiatry Program under the Criminal Code of Canada. Referral agents include physicians, mental health professionals, other health care facilities, community agencies, courts, corrections, police, and family, in addition to self-referral.
Each Alberta Hospital Edmonton program has an inpatient and a community component. Interdisciplinary teams are made up of program managers, psychiatrists, psychologists, psychometrists, nurses, psychiatric aides, social workers, occupational therapists, recreation therapists, physiotherapists, therapy assistants, counselors, pharmacists, dieticians, chaplains and support staff.
- Opened Sunday, July 1, 1923 as the "Institute for the Feeble Minded" (cooincidentally this was also Dominion Day).
- Attended by:
- Dr. Dick Reid the Minister of Health
- Archie Matheson, the MLA from Vegreville
- Mr. Brownlee, the Attorney-General
There are 45 buildings at AHE spread over 275 acres. The buildings on the site were named numerically in the order in which they were built.
- Originally the first dormitory
- contained the apparel shop and Highwood School until closed in 2006
- Remains standing, but unused
Old 3 Building
- Contained 2 units 3B and 3C
- Demolished and replaced with current 3 building
- Helen Hunley Forensic Pavilion
- contains X-ray and CT scanning equipment
- Dorran Auditorium
- Pool and gymnasium
- Currently demolished
- formerly held patients; following closure for patient care, became a dormitory for staff
- Rose Sinclair Pavilion
- Not in use but still standing
- Woodwork shop
- Unused as building is condemned
- Rachel H. Young Pavilion
- Contains Rehabilitation units
- Contains Budz Bistro (coffee shop run by patients)
- Contains library, pharmacy, pastoral/spiritual care, AV and computer lab
- Contains Central Services, Highwood School and Apparel Shop
- AD MacPherson Pavilion
- Admitting and locked units
- Remains standing but unused
- Fire Hall
- Now used for woodworking as well as carwash
- Food and Nutrition Services
- Main cafeteria found here
- Facilities management offices
- Greenhouse and RSVP gift shop
- Originally patients were paid a small stipend for working in the greenhouse. However, this is no longer funded.
- Due to its height, this structure is visible throughout the Alberta Hospital site
- Adult psychiatry (Ages 18-65)
- CLiP (The Community Living Program) provides support to psychiatric patients within the community upon discharge from the hospital
- Geriatric psychiatry
- The Northern Alberta Forensic Psychiatry Program
- Alberta Hospital Edmonton 1923-1983, Published by AHE, Printed by ABC Press 1979 Ltd.