The bridge is so named because Route 27 in New Brunswick, from the Raritan River to Easton Avenue, is known locally as Albany Street.
The low stone arch bridge was built in 1887. It was widened in 1925, ten years after Route 27 had become part of the transcontinental Lincoln Highway. The bridge received modifications such as the chain link fencing in the 1960s. From the bridge's centennial in 1987 until 1991, a major renovation created a drastic traffic bottleneck in the area.
From the road, the appearance of the bridge is very modern. The best views of this historic arch bridge are from the banks of the Raritan River and from the nearby Northeast Corridor railroad bridge.