It opened on 13 July 1880 as Aintree Racecourse for racedays at Aintree Racecourse. It was renamed Aintree on the opening of the Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway on 1st September 1884. With nationalisation in 1950 it was renamed once more to become Aintree Central.
The line was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee, in direct competition to the L&Y's Liverpool Exchange to Southport Chapel Street service. However, it was never as successful because the CLC's route was much longer than that of the L&Y, serving areas within South Liverpool and along to Hunts Cross, before going north again up to Aintree.
Today, no evidence of the station's existence remains, as the site is buried under an industrial estate, located off Park Lane.