Abaújvár is a village in Hungary, next to the Slovakian border. It lies northeast of Miskolc.
In the 11th century
, the village belonged to the Aba clan, one of the most important Hungarian families of the time, and was first mentioned in 1046
, but presumably an earth castle stood here much earlier. The new stone castle was built by King Samuel Aba
. The village's name means "new castle of Aba". The castle, which doesn't exist any more, gave its name to the historical Abaúj
county (now mostly a part of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
During the Middle Ages, the village was next to an important trade route leading to Poland, which was a neighboring country to the Kingdom of Hungary.
Since the Trianon treaty, the village is next to the border and doesn't have much significance.
(3 km), Pányok
(4 km), Zsujta
Nearest town: Gönc (12 km)