- For the processor, see Intel 8086.
was a common year starting on Sunday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
- Domitian introduces the Capitoline Games.
- The Roman General Trajan, future emperor, begins a campaign to crush an uprising in Germany.
- Germany is divided into two provinces, Upper- and Lower-Germany.
- Roman legions face disaster in Dacia in the First Battle of Tapae, when Cornelius Fuscus, Praetorian prefect, launches a powerful offensive that becomes a failure. Encircled in the valley of Timi, he dies along with his entire army. Rome must pay tribute to the Dacians in exchange for a vague recognition of Rome's importance.