The 4th Cavalry Brigade was formation of the British Army during the First World War, which was formed again in 1939 from Yeomanry Regiments for service during the Second World War. During both conflicts it served as a part of the 1st Cavalry Division.
History in World War II
The only British cavalry division during the War, this formation was sent in January 1940 to the Middle East
as a garrison and occupation force. In May 1941 the 4th Cavalry Brigade, together with a battalion of infantry from The Essex Regiment
, a mechanised regiment from the Arab Legion
and supporting artillery was reorganised as Habforce
for operations in Iraq
including the relief of the base at RAF Habbaniya
and the occupation of Baghdad
. Following this, in July 1941 it was involved in operations against the Vichy
French in Syria
, advancing from eastern Iraq near the Trans-Jordan
border on Palmyra
to secure the Haditha
On 1 August 1941 the Brigade was converted into the 9th Armoured Brigade when the 1st Cavalry Division was converted to the 10th Armoured Division.