The 35th Fighter Wing (35 FW) is an air combat unit of the United States Air Force and the host unit at Misawa Air Base, Japan. The 35 FW is part of Pacific Air Forces Fifth Air Force. Its primary fighter is the F-16 CJ/DJ "Wild Weasel" and its current commander (also a fighter pilot), is Colonel Col. Terrence O'Shaughnessy .
The mission of the 35th Wing is to project power throughout the Pacific theater and execute worldwide deployments.
The 35th Fighter Wing a combat ready F-16 wing comprised of 4 groups, 2 fighter squadrons, 27 support squadrons and agencies, and more than 3,850 personnel. Host unit for 13,500-manned base supporting 35 associate units representing all four US military services and the Japan Air Self Defense Force (JASDF).
The Operations Group controls all flying and airfield operations. The Maintenance Group performs Aircraft and Aircraft support equipment maintenance. The Mission Support Group has a wide range of responsibilities but a few of its functions are Security, Civil Engineering, Communications, Personnel Management, Logistics, Services and Contracting support. The Maintenance Group provides aircraft and mission support equipment maintenance, while the Medical Group provides medical and dental care.
Note:***, Honors, lineage and history of USAAF 35th Fighter Group bestowed on USAF 35th Fighter Wing, 1952.
Initially training with Seversky P-35s, P-36 Hawks, P-39 Airacobras, and Curtiss P-40 aircraft, the group moved to the Philippines in November 1941. Headquarters and a third squadron (70th) sailed for Manila on 5 December but because of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor they returned to Hamilton Field where the squadron flew some patrols. Headquarters and the 70th squadron sailed for Brisbane, Australia on 12 January 1942. On 15 January all the combat squadrons were relieved and three others, still in the US, were assigned. The 35th was redesignated as the 35th Fighter Group and consisted of:
Headquarters reached Brisbane Australia in February 1942 and moved on to New Delhi, India in March. Meanwhile the squadrons had moved from the US to various locations (Ballarat, Mount Gambier, Williamstown, Woodstock) in Australia and were training for combat with P-39's. Headquarters was transferred back to Sydney Australia, without personnel and equipment, in May 1942.
From Australia, the 35th entered combat with Fifth Air Force, operating successively from bases in Australia, New Guinea, Owi, Morotai, and the Philippines. First used P-38's and P-39's; equipped with Republic P-47 Thunderbolts late in 1943 and with North American P-51 Mustangs in March 1945. The group helped to halt the Japanese advance in Papua and took part in the Allied offensive that recovered the rest of New Guinea, flying protective patrols over Port Moresby, escorting bombers and transports, attacking Japanese airfields and supply lines, and providing cover for Allied landings.
In 1944 the 35th began long-range missions against enemy airfields and installations in the southern Philippines, Halmahera, and Borneo, preparatory to the US invasion of the Philippines. Beginning in January 1945, operated in support of ground forces on Luzon. Also escorted bombers and completed some fighter sweeps to Formosa and China. Bombed and strafed railways and airfields in Kyūshū and Korea after moving to Okinawa in June 1945.
After the surrender of Japan, the group became part of Far East Air Forces occupation forces and trained, took part in maneuvers, and flew surveillance patrols over Honshū from Irumagawa (later, Johnson AB) Japan in October 1945.
Redesignated 35th Fighter-Interceptor Group/Wing in January 1950 and two squadrons (39th, 40th) were equipped with Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star jet fighters.
In July 1950, the 35th FIG commenced combat from Ashiya AB in southwestern Japan. It quickly converted from F-80Cs back to the rugged and longer-range F-51D Mustangs it had given up only a short time before. Group headquarters and the 40th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron moved to Pohang AB (K-3) on South Korea's south eastern coast in mid-July, and the 39th Squadron followed on August 10.
The two squadrons of the 35th Fighter-Interceptor Group were attached to the wartime 6131st Tactical Support Wing from August 1, then to the 6150th Tactical Support Wing Korean War squadrons of the 35th FIG were:
From September 6, the group supported United Nations ground forces moving north of the 38th parallel. The squadrons focused its attacks on fuel dumps, motorized transport, and enemy troop concentrations until it moved in mid-November to a forward airstrip at Yonpo Adrm (K-27), near the North Korean port city of Hungnam to provide close air support to the U. S. Army X Corps. When Communist Chinese Forces (CCF) surrounded the 1st U.S. Marine Division at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, the F-51 Mustang-equipped squadrons provided close air support to the marines.
Relocating to Pusan AB (K-9), South Korea in early December 1950, the 35th FIG continued supporting UN ground forces, eventually staging out of Suwon (K-13) in March 1951 and Seoul Airport (K-16) in April. The combat-weakened group was transferred without personnel and equipment back to Johnson AB Japan in May 1951 where it was remanned and equipped with F-51's and F-80's and merged back with the wing to provide air defense for Japan.
For its combat operations in Korea, the 35th Fighter-Interceptor Group was awarded the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and the UN Defensive, UN Offensive, CCF Intervention, 1st UN Counteroffensive and CCF Spring Offensive campaign streamers.
After the 35th's squadrons transferred back to Johnson AB Japan in 1951, the group was reassembled with the wing and flew several aircraft types. The wing also added aerial reconnaissance to its air defense mission. Aircraft flown included the RC-45, RF-51, North American F-86F Sabre and Lockheed F-94 Starfire. During this time the 35th FIW directly controlled the
The group was returned to operational status on 15 July 1954, and from 14 August to 30 September 1954 was detached from the wing, being assigned to Yokota AB. All components of the wing were reassembled at Yokota in October 1954 and they served together until the 35th FIW was inactivated on October 1, 1957 with the operational squadrons coming under the control of the 41st Air Division.
On March 14, 1966, the 35th Fighter Interceptor Wing was redesignated the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing. Two weeks later, it activated at Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, to replace the 7252nd Tactical Fighter Wing. While at Da Nang Air Base, the wing had five flying squadrons assigned or attached to it.
In October 1966, the wing transferred to Phan Rang Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, to replace the 366th TFW. With the transfer, the 35th became the parent wing at Phan Rang Air Base. Operational squadrons of the 35th TFW at Phan Rang were:
The RAAF 2 squadron provided day and night bombing, photo strike assessment, and close air support primarily for 1st Australian Task Force in Phuoc Tuy Province
Missions included air support of ground forces, interdiction, visual and armed reconnaissance, strike assessment photography, escort, close and direct air support, and rapid reaction alert. It struck enemy bases and supply caches in Parrot's Beak just inside the Cambodian border, April-May 1970 and provided close air support and interdiction in support of South Vietnamese operations in Laos and Cambodia, January-June 1971.
The 35th TFW's resources passed to the 315th Tactical Airlift Wing on 31 July 1971 when the 35th Wing inactivated in Southeast Asia. It was later reactivated at George Air Force Base California on 1 October 1971.
For its wartime combat duty in Southeast Asia, the 35th TFW was awarded the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Crosses with Palm and the Vietnam Air; Vietnam Air Offensive; Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase II; Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase III; Vietnam Air/Ground; Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase IV; TET 69/Counteroffensive; Vietnam Summer-Fall, 1969; Vietnam Winter-Spring, 1970; Sanctuary Counteroffensive; Southwest Monsoon; Commando Hunt V; Commando Hunt VI. campaign streamers.
The 35th Tactical Fighter Wing was reassigned and reactivated at George Air Force Base, Calif., on October. 1, 1971, where it replaced the 479th Tactical Fighter Wing. The wing's mission at George was to take over the mission of training F-4 flight crews.
General-purpose F-4C/D/E training squadrons carried the tail code "GA". These were:
From (1972-75), the 20th TFS flew German Air Force F-4F aircraft for training of German Air Force (Luftwaffe) pilots. USAF F-4E aircraft in German AF motif were flown after 1981.
In addition to the F-4 training, in November 1974 Republic F-105F/G Thunderchiefs from the 388th TFW 17th WWS at Korat RTAFB, Thailand were withdrawn from Southeast Asia and transferred to the 562d TFS. By 1975, with the arrival of new F-4G aircraft, the wing was training aircrews exclusively in Wild Weasel radar detection and suppression operations for deployment to operational units in Okinawa and Germany.
Wild Weasel F-105F/G training aircraft carried the "GA" tail code. Later, the F-4G/E training aircraft carried the tail code "WW". These were:
.*** Under 37th Tactical Fighter Wing 1981-89
In 1980, the wing received the new F-4G and its advanced Wild Weasel system. By July 1980, the last F-105G left George Air Force Base, leaving the 35th with F-4Gs in its inventory for Wild Weasel training.
In mid-1978, the 431st TFTS was inactivated and replaced by the 561st TFS. Its F-4Es sent to the Air National Guard. The 39th TFS received the Air Force's first F-4Gs, and the F-4Cs were sent to the ANG. All 39th TFS aircraft and personnel were absorbed by the 562d TFTS on 9 October 1980 and the squadron was inactivated.
Operations at George Air Force Base were reorganized by mission requirements March 30, 1981. The 35th Tactical Fighter Wing retained control of the 20th and 21st Tactical Fighter Squadrons and gained the inactive 39th TFS for combat ready operations. The 39th remained non-operational until January 1982 when it began equipping with Pave Spike-equipped F-4Es obtained from the 21st TFW at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska and reorganized as a combat-ready tactical fighter squadron. In May 1984, the 39th TFS was inactivated.
In July 1983, the 21st TFS was returned to a fighter training mission and renamed 21st TFTS.
With the inactivation of the 39th TFS in 1984, the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing was redesignated the 35th Tactical Training Wing. However, the wing kept its air defense augmentation responsibility. It provided operations and maintenance support for the close air support portion of Army training exercises conducted at the U.S. Army National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif., from 1981 to 1990. Also, the wing advised specific Air National Guard units on F-4 operations from 1981 to 1991.
The new 37th Tactical Fighter Wing assumed the 561st and 562nd Tactical Fighter Squadrons active Wild Weasel missions in March 1981. This training ended in October 1989 when the 37th TFW was reassigned to Tonopah Test Range Nevada assuming F-117A operational development. All Wild Weasel operations (561st, 562d TFS) were consolidated the 37th TFW under the newly redesignated 35th Tactical Fighter Wing.
In August 1990, the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing mobilized in support of Operation Desert Shield. On August. 16, 1990, 24 F-4Gs of the 561st Tactical Fighter Squadron left George Air Force Base enroute to Shaikh Isa Air Base, Bahrain. Once in the Middle East, its deployed people established operational, maintenance and living facilities for the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional). These facilities eventually housed more than 60 active duty and Air National Guard F-4s and more than 2,600 military members.
During Operation Desert Storm, the 561st Tactical Fighter Squadron flew 1,182 combat sorties for a total of 4,393.5 hours. The 35th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional) was credited with flying 3,072 combat missions for 10,318.5 hours. U.S. Central Command relied heavily on the wing's Wild Weasels to suppress enemy air defense systems. The F-4G aircrews were credited with firing 905 missiles at Iraqi targets, while the RF-4C aircrews shot more than 300,000 feet of vital reconnaissance film. During operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional) suffered no casualties. The wing's people began returning to George Air Force Base March 23, 1991, with its aircraft and pilots following three days later.
In October 1991, as part of the Air Force's reorganization plan, the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing was redesignated the 35th Fighter Wing. A month later, the wing's tactical fighter squadrons were redesignated fighter squadrons. On June 1 1992, the 35th FW was transferred to the new Air Combat Command.
In 1988, George AFB was scheduled in the first round of base closures passed by Congress under the Base Realignment and Closure program. In 1991, the 35th began downsizing in preparation for the closure of George Air Force Base.
Shortly thereafter, on December 15th the 35th Fighter Wing inactivated and George Air Force Base was closed bringing an end to 21 years of continuous service and more than 34 years of total service for the 35th.
Less than six months after its inactivation, the 35th was again called to service. On May 31, 1993, the 35th Fighter Wing was redesignated the 35th Wing and activated at Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland. The 35th replaced Air Forces Iceland, which had served as a wing equivalent for more than 40 years. Its new mission was to deter aggression, stabilize the North Atlantic region and protect the sovereign airspace of Iceland through the use of combat capable surveillance, air superiority and rescue forces.
The wing's 57th Fighter Squadron protected the northern airspace with its McDonnell Douglas F-15C/D fighters. Its surveillance mission was handled by the 932nd Air Control Squadron through the Iceland Regional Operations Control Center and four remote radar sites located on the four corners of the island. The 56th Rescue Squadrons four Sikorsky HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters flew combat rescue and reaction force insertion missions.
The 35th Wing was inactivated at NAS Keflavik, Iceland, on September 30, 1994, being replaced by the 85th Wing, with the station being reassigned from Air Combat Command to the United States Air Forces in Europe.
The 35th FW serves as host unit for Misawa AB, supporting 33 US associate units and units of the Japan Self-Defense Forces (JASDF) Northern Air Defense Force, primarily the Japanese 3rd Air Wing, which celebrates its 70th anniversary in 2007. In addition to providing air defense of northern Japan, the wing also deployed aircraft and personnel to Southwest Asia in support of Operations NORTHERN and SOUTHERN WATCH and the Global War on Terrorism from 1997-2003.
SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE DONLEY DISCUSSES FORCE STRUCTURE, 35TH FIGHTER WING CONTRIBUTIONS DURING VISIT TO MISAWA
Apr 27, 2012; MISAWA AIR BASE, Japan, April 25 -- The U. S. Pacific Air Forces issued the following news release: Secretary of the Air Force...