) was a common year starting on Tuesday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar
(or a common year starting on Saturday
of the 11-day slower Julian calendar
Events of 1737
January - June
July - December
- September 20 - Runner Edward Marshall completes his journey in the Walking Purchase, forcing the cession of 1.2 million acres (4,860 km²) of Lenape-Delaware tribal land to the Pennsylvania Colony.
- October - The first national stage in Sweden opens when the play Den Svenska Sprätthöken is performed in the native language, by the first native actors, on the stage of Bollhuset in Stockholm.
- October 7 - A tropical cyclone strikes Bengal, India killing approximately 300,000.
- October 16 - An earthquake with a magnitude of 9.3 explodes off the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, causing a major tsunami in the Pacific ocean.
- November 4 - The San Carlo, the oldest working opera house in Europe, is inaugurated in Naples, Italy.
- January 23 - John Hancock, American statesman and revolutionary (d. 1793)
- January 29 - Thomas Paine, British-born American patriot and pamphleteer (d. 1809)
- April 27 - Edward Gibbon, English historian (d. 1794)
- May 2 - William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1805)
- June 20 - Tokugawa Ieharu, Japanese shogun (d. 1786)
- August 5 - Johann Friedrich Struensee, Danish royal physician (d. 1772)
- August 29 - John Hunter, second governor of New South Wales (d. 1821)
- September 9 - Luigi Galvani, Italian physician and physicist (d. 1798)
- September 14 - Michael Haydn, Austrian composer (d. 1806)
- September 15 - Miklós Küzmics, Hungarian Slovenes writer, Catholic priest (d. 1804)
- September 19 - Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the American Declaration of Independence (d. 1832)
- December 26 - Prince Josias of Coburg, Austrian general (d. 1815)
- date unknown - Frances Abington, English actress (d. 1815)
- See also :Category: 1737 births.
- January 17 - Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann, German architect (b. 1662)
- January 24 - William Wake, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1657)
- January 29 - George Hamilton, 1st Earl of Orkney, British soldier (b. 1666)
- February 14 - Charles Talbot, 1st Baron Talbot of Hensol, Lord Chancellor of Great Britain (b. 1685)
- March 16 - Benjamin Wadsworth, American President of Harvard University (b. 1670)
- May 4 - Eustace Budgell, English writer (b. 1686)
- May 10 - Emperor Nakamikado of Japan (b. 1702)
- July 9 - Gian Gastone de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (b. 1671)
- September 7 - John Hickman, convicted forger (b. 1693)
- September 27 - John Sidney, 6th Earl of Leicester, English privy councillor (b. 1680)
- November 20 - Caroline of Ansbach, queen of George II of Great Britain (b. 1683)
- December 11 - John Strype, English historian and biographer (b. 1643)
- December 18 - Antonio Stradivari, Italian luthier (b. 1644)
- December 19 - James Sobieski, Crown Prince of Poland (b. 1667)
- December 27 - William Bowyer, English printer (b. 1663)
- See also :Category: 1737 deaths.
- The Annual Catalogue - List of History, Divinity, Law, Poetry, Plays, Novels, Painting, Architecture, and all other Sciences books published in London in 1737