Year 1542 (MDXLII) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
Events of 1542
January - June
July - December
- See also :Category: 1542 births.
- February - Nikolaus Federmann, German adventurer in Venezuela and Colombia (b. 1501)
- February 1 - Girolamo Aleandro, Italian cardinal (born 1480)
- February 13 - Catherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII of England (executed) (born c1522)
- March 3 - Arthur Plantagenet, 1st Viscount Lisle, illegitimate son of King Edward IV of England
- May 21 - Hernando de Soto, Spanish explorer, navigator and conquistador (b. c. 1500)
- June 19 - Leo Jud, Swiss reformer (b. 1482)
- July 15 - Lisa del Giocondo, believed to be the subject of the Mona Lisa
- August 24 - Gasparo Contarini, Italian diplomat and cardinal (b. 1483)
- August 29 - Cristovão da Gama, Portuguese soldier (b. c. 1516)
- September 21 - Juan Boscán Almogáver, Spanish poet (b. c. 1490)
- October 6 - Thomas Wyatt, English poet and diplomat (b. 1503)
- December 14 - King James V of Scotland (b. 1512)
- date unknown
- See also :Category: 1542 deaths.