(MCCXCVI) was a leap year starting on Sunday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
Events of 1296
- The Chinese diplomat Zhou Daguan spends a year at the court of the Khmer King Indravarman III at Angkor and pens a journal setting forth his observations.
- King Mangrai the Great of Ngoen Yang moved his capital south by founding Chiang Mai and established Mangrai Dynasty that ruling Lanna Kingdom from 1296 to 1578.
- Jalal-Ud-Din-Feroz Khilji dies and Ala-Ud-Din-Khilji,one of the greatest ruler of Hindustan(India) comes to the throne and rules till 1316.His empire is compared to the mauryan empire at its greatest extent.
- February 8 - King Przemysł II of Poland (b. 1257)
- March 11 - John le Romeyn, Archbishop of York
- May - William de Valence, 1st Earl of Pembroke
- May 19 - Pope Celestine V (b. 1215)
- June 5 - Edmund Crouchback, 1st Earl of Lancaster, son of Henry III of England (born 1245)
- June 27 - Floris V, Count of Holland (b. 1254)
- August 8 - Hugh of Brienne, French crusader
- October 9 - Louis III, Duke of Bavaria (b. 1269)
- November 1 - Guillaume Durand, French canonist and writer
- December - Isabella of Mar, wife of Robert I of Scotland
- ?December - Adam de Darlington, Bishop of Caithness
- date unknown