The United States Air Force's 11th Wing is the host wing for Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C. The Air Force District of Washington, which the 11th Wing reports to, is headquartered there and the 11th Wing is the single manager for all Air Force activities supporting Headquarters Air Force.
The wing provides major command-level manpower, personnel, programming, budgeting support and Uniform Code of Military Justice jurisdiction for Air Force elements throughout the world plus the air staff, office of the Secretary of Defense and Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The 11th Wing also plans and directs the activities and performances of the United States Air Force Band and United States Air Force Honor Guard.
World class professionals providing musical and ceremonial ambassadorship, base operating and medical support, and homeland defense across the Air Force.
From Dec 1948 through mid-1952, conducted B-36 training. When activated in Feb 1951, the wing obtained its resources from the group. The 11th Bombardment Wing conducted strategic bombardment training, 1951-1968. Deployed at Nouasseur AB, French Morocco, 4 May
-2 July 1955
. Won the SAC Bombing Competition and the Fairchild Trophy in 1954, 1956 and 1960. Added air refueling to its mission in Dec 1957. Gained a strategic missile squadron in Jun 1961. Phased out Atlas missiles in Jan 1965 and B-52s in mid-1968, completing its final nine months of activation as an aerial refueling wing.
11th Bomb Wing
At: Carswell AFB, TX.
- Assigned to: Eighth Air Force. (Attached to the 7th Bomb Wing from 1 December 1948 to 15 February 1951).
- Equipment: B-36s.
- Reassigned to: Eighth Air Force, 19th Air Division on 16 February 1951. (Attached to the 5th Air Division from 4 May 1955 to 2 July 1955.)
- Reassigned to: Second Air Force, 19th Air Division on 13 December 1957.
- Changed equipment in: 1957 to B-36s, KC-97s.
- Moved to: Altus AFB, OK, on 13 December 1957.
- Changed equipment in: 1958 to B-52s, KC-97s, KC-135s.
- Reassigned to: Second Air Force, 816th Air Division on 1 July 1958.
- Changed equipment in: 1961 to B-52s, KC-135s, Atlas.
- Redesignated as: 11th Strategic Aerospace Wing on 30 March 1962.
11th Strategic Aerospace Wing
- Redesignated on; 30 Mar 1962
- At: Altus AFB, OK.
- Assigned to: Second Air Force, 816th Strategic Aerospace Division.
- Equipment: B-52s, KC-135s, Atlas.
- Reassigned to: Second Air Force, 819th Strategic Aerospace Division on 1 July 1965.
- Changed equipment in: 1965 to B-52, KC-135s.
- Reassigned to: Second Air Force, 19th Air Division on 2 July 1966.
- Redesignated as: 11th Air Refueling Wing on 2 July 1968.
11th Air Refueling Wing
- Redesignated on: 2 July 1968.
- At: Altus AFB, OK.
- Assigned to: Second Air Force, 19th Air Division.
- Equipment: KC-135s.
- Inactivated on: 25 March 1969.