Čadca (Tschadsa (rare), Csaca, Czadca) is a district town in northern Slovakia, near the border with Poland and the Czech Republic.
It is located south of the Jablunkov Pass
, surrounded by the Javorníky
, Kysucké Beskydy
and Turzovská vrchovina
mountain ranges. It lies in the valley of the Kysuca
river, around 30 km north of Žilina
and is part of the historic region of Kysuce
. A Goral
minority lives in the surroundings.
The town was established in the 17th century, the first written reference dates back to 1565 as Tzaczcka
. The town charter was granted in 1778.
According to the 2001 census
, the town had 26,699 inhabitants. 96.14% of inhabitants were Slovaks
, 1.56% Czech
and 0.13% Roma
. The religious make-up was 91.48% Roman Catholics
, 3.99% people with no religious affiliation, and 0.46% Lutherans