See his Diary, 1653-57, ed. by E. S. Morgan (1951, repr. 1970); The Day of Doom (ed. by K. B. Murdock, 1929); memoir by J. W. Dean (2d ed. 1871); biography by R. Crowder (1962).
Malden, a hilly woodland area north of the Mystic River, was settled by Puritans in 1640 on land purchased in 1629 from the Pawtucket Indians. The area was originally called "Mistick Side and was a part of Charlestown. It was incorporated as a separate town in 1649. The name Malden was selected by Joseph Hills, an early settler and landholder, and was named after Maldon, England. Malden, which originally included what are now the adjacent cities of Melrose (until 1850) and Everett (until 1870), was incorporated as a city in 1882.
The first code of enacted laws printed in New England was compiled here by Joseph Hills in 1648. At the time of the American Revolution, the population was about 1000, and the citizens were involved early in resisting the oppression of Britain; they stopped using tea in 1770 to protest the Revenue Act of 1766, and Malden also has the reputation of being the first town to petition the colonial government to withdraw from the British Empire.
Malden High School, in conjunction with Medford High School, has the second oldest continuous high school football rivalries in the United States, with the first "Thanksgiving Day Game" dating back to 1889.
Malden contains a number of historic churches. Malden is also the site of the controversial Fells Acres child abuse case.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.1 square miles (13.2 km²), of which, 5.1 square miles (13.1 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.78%) is water. Bordered on the north by the cliffs of Middlesex Fells, Malden is drained by the Malden River.
As of the census of 2000, there were 56,340 people, 23,009 households, and 13,575 families residing in the city. The population density was 11,102.9 people per square mile (4,290.5/km²). There were 23,634 housing units at an average density of 4,657.5/sq mi (1,799.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 72.09% White, 8.15% African American, 0.14% Native American, 13.99% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 2.10% from other races, and 3.46% from two or more races. 4.79% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 23,009 households out of which 25.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.8% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.0% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 36.9% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $45,654, and the median income for a family was $55,557. Males had a median income of $37,741 versus $31,157 for females. The per capita income for the city was $22,004. About 6.6% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.6% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
Malden has 5 public elementary/middle schools; 1 charter elementary, middle, and high school; 1 public high school; 1 catholic high school; and 1 public preschool. The website for the public schools is: www.malden.mec.edu The elementary school was originally in the Chester W. Holmes school, but then was split into the five new public schools: Linden School, Beebe School, Forestdale School, Salemwood School, and Ferryway School. The Holmes school is now the Early Learning preschool. Malden is also home to the respective High School facility, Mystic Valley Regional Charter School (MVRCS), and Malden Catholic High School.
Like many communities in New England, many towns and neighborhoods are organized around "Squares" which are locations of crossroads and town commons dating from the colonial and early 19th century years. Many of the neighborhoods in Malden take their name and identity from the Square they are centered around.
Malden's squares include Malden Square (formerly Converse Square, and the location of downtown Malden), Oak Grove Square (at Oak Grove T Station, Bellrock Square (at the intersections of Cross, Main and Medford Sts.), Judson Square (near Ferryway Green/School), former Suffolk Square (at Cross and Bryant Streets, and the location of a thriving Jewish community until being claimed by urban renewal in the 1960s), Maplewood Square (at Lebanon, Maplewood and Salem Streets) and Linden Square.
Some of the neighborhoods in Malden include Faulkner (location of the former Suffolk Square) West End, Edgeworth, Linden, Ferryway, Forestdale, Maplewood, Bellrock, and Belmont Hill (located between Bellrock and Ferryway).
The Faulkner neighborhood is generally bounded by Ferry St on the west, the City of Everett on the South, Maplewood/ Maplewood St on the east and Salem Street on the north. A few of the streets north of Salem Street around Pierce St are sometimes considered part of Faulkner. In colonial times, Harvell's Mill was located here (at the intersection of Cross Street and the old B&M Railroad Tracks, between Eastern Ave and Salem Streets), just below the cliffs, on Harvell's Brook, which drained west to the Malden River. A road from South Malden (now Everett) crossed here to meet Salem Street just uphill. Formerly called Harvell's Brook Lane, it was re-named Cross Street. In the 19th century a railroad was built along Harvell's Brook, named the Saugus Branch, and the brook was channeled to become a sewage ditch called the Saugus Branch Brook. During this time industry sprouted in this area, and a large immigrant neighborhood focused around Bryant and Cross Streets took shape named Suffolk Square. In the early 20th century Saugus Branch Brook was culverted due to pollution. In the 1920s and 30s Jewish immigrants from East Boston and Chelsea, as well as the West and North Ends of Boston, began to migrate to Suffolk Square. During this time Faulkner was served by three trolley lines and two commuter rail stations by what is now the MBTA. All that remains is the Route 105 T bus line. In the 1950s out-migration by the Jewish community to northern suburbs and the decline of railroads and mill-based industry led to a condition of dilapidated and shabby housing of triple deckers and empty storefronts. Ambitious but experimental urban renewal modeled on Boston's Scolley Square and West End projects leveled Suffolk Square and most of the neighborhood. Controversy around redevelopment projects led to the loss of the commercial center at Suffolk Square and the replacement of dense 3-family houses with suburban-like low-income and senior public housing. Housing projects include Suffolk Manor Senior Housing, Bowdoin Apartments and Newland Street Projects. The neighborhood was once served by Lincoln Elementary, Lincoln Jr High/ Middle School and Daniels Elementary as well at as the former Faulkner school at Peirce and Salem Streets. At the beginning of the 21st century a small section of Harvell's Brook was daylighted and partially restored at Roosevelt Park during the construction of the Salemwood School on the east end of the park. Parks in this neighborhood include Daniels Park, Lincoln Commons, Roosevelt Park, South Broadway Park and Harvard St. Park.
The West End neighborhood is the northwest section of the city. It contains the Fellsmere Pond and Amerige Park. The Beebe School is located in the West End neighborhood. The Fells Acre incident occurred here.
The Edgeworth neighborhood is the southwest section of the city. It contains Devir Park, Pearl St. Park, and Callahan Park. The city’s football stadium, MacDonald Stadium is in Edgeworth. A school in Edgeworth is the former Emerson grammar school.
Ferryway is the south central section of the city. It contains the Ferryway School and Newman Park.
Forestdale is the north central section of the city and it contains the Forestdale School and park. It also has the largest park in Malden, Pine Banks Park, and the largest cemetery, Forestdale Cemetery. Parts of Forest street follow an old Indian path.
Linden is the southeast section of the city, generally everything east of Broadway/Route 99. It contains the Linden School and Hunting Field, and a moderately sized mountainous area topped with an apartment complex called Granada Highlands. A large portion of this neighborhood was once a marshy area up until the late 1800s. The Linden Land Company sold off house lots on land that was created by filling in the marsh around the Hunting Field area. People still dig up old glass bottles and other items on their property. Hunting field was once a park that encompassed the entire area inside of Broadway, Salem St., Eastern Ave., and Claremont Street, save for a few homes and a large trolley car barn that was located where Econo Lodge is today. Over time the land was obliterated by construction of a housing project for war veterans in the late 40s and the Linden elementary school in 1953. One of the last remaining vestiges of this park was "the No-Name street", which was an old entrance. One of the original park's large trees still stands here, as well as some stone walls.
Maplewood is located between the Forestdale and Linden neighborhoods. The northern section is called Maplewood Highlands due to its hilly nature. It contains Roosevelt Park, Trafton Park, and South Broadway Park. Schools in Maplewood are the Salemwood School and the Malden Catholic High School.
Bellrock is the southwest section of the city, bordered by Main Street on the east, Charles Street on the north, the Malden River on the west, and the Everett line on the south. It contains Bell Rock Park (listed on the National Register of Historic Places) and Bell Rock Cemetery, which contains marked graves dating back to 1670. Bell Rock Cemetery was called Sandy Bank until the establishment of the Salem Street Cemetery in 1832; it was then known as the Old Burial Ground for half a century until it was renamed in 1882.
Approximately 30 park sites throughout the city provide a variety of recreational facilities including tennis courts, basketball courts, playgrounds and ballfields. Other sites include a 400-meter synthetic running track at Macdonald Stadium; 56 acres (23 ha) of the Middlesex Fells Reservation; the 25 acre (10 ha) Fellsmere Pond; a DCR-owned and operated swimming pool; a 30,000 square feet (2,800 m²) fieldhouse built under the new school rebuilding plan; the state-of-the-art Malden YMCA finished construction in early 2007; and Pine Banks Park, operated by a Board of Trustees with equal representation by the cities of Malden and Melrose.