What's with Andy?
is a Canadian animated series
that debuted in September 2001
. It was originally an interactive Flash movie
with completely different voice actors and a promotion for FOX Kids
. However, it ended up airing on Teletoon
The protagonist of the series is Andy Larkin, a mischievous teen and the (self proclaimed) "world's greatest prankster". The show follows him as he tries to perform incredibly well-thought out and elaborate practical jokes (a.k.a. pranks) on people. He lives in the fictional town of East Gackle, Alberta (2nd and 3rd seasons only). He constantly breaks the fourth wall when the screen freezes.
Andy's best friend, Danny Pickett, helps him out with almost every prank. He's enemies with his sister, Jen Larkin, and the bullies Peter Lik and Andrew Leech. Andy lusts for a girl named Lori Mackney and usually tries to impress her.
The show ran every morning on ABC Family at 8:00 a.m. E.T. from September 2001 until April 2002. It was also seen at 3:30 p.m. Eastern/2:30 p.m. C.T. on Toon Disney for a short time in early 2005. It aired on Teletoon from September 2001 until September 2008.
- Andy Larkin: The main character of the show and a prankster who loves to prank people.
- Lori Mackney: Andy's crush but she is dismayed by his childishness due to his pranking. She has a crush on Andy very much.
- Jen Larkin: Andy's talented older sister who blames her younger brother Andy for everything.
- Danny Pickett: The left hand of Andy.
- Freida Larkin: Andy and Jen's Mother and Al's wife.
- Al Larkin: Andy and Jen's Father and Freida's husband.
- Teri: Jen's best friend.
- Jervis Coltrane: A French stereotypical snob who has a crush on Lori Mackney and he and Andy rival each other.
- Peter Lik and Andrew Leech: Peter and Andrew are Andy's and Danny's nemeses who always bully them.
- Craig Bennett: Jen's crush and one of the best athletes of East Gackle.
- Martin Bonwick: He is a stereotypically nervous nerd who always gets bullied.
- Victor Muskowitz (Mush): The pizza delivery man of East Gackle who is a good friend of Andy and Danny and he sometimes helps them with pranks.
- Steve Rowgee Jr.: A dumb police officer who is the incompetent son of Steve Rowgee Sr.
- Steve Rowgee Sr.: A police officer who is an old man, who always commands Steve Rowgee Jr. (his son) and is nicknamed the Iron Fisted Maniac.
- Principal DeRosa: He is the bad-tempered principal of the school in East Gackle who is obsessed with punishing Andy and Danny.
- Mr. Hutchins: One of the many teachers at East Gackle school, Andy likes to prank him more than the other teachers.
- Mayor Henry K. Roth: He is the mayor of East Gackle and is not a fan of Andy's pranks.
- Spank Larkin: Andy's fat lazy dog.
- Mayor Simms: Mayor of West Gackle and Mayor Henry K. Roth's rival.
- Mr Leech: Andrew Leech's Dad.
- Clyde: The janitor of the school.
- Bryan: Andy's pranking rival and they battle for the best pranking and for Lori.
- Hazel Strinner: She has a crush on Andy and Lori's protecting friend.
- Louella Berman: Freida's best friend.
- Mrs. Wibbles: Principal DeRosa's secretary. She puts principal DeRosa in quarantine in an episode of Season 3, Prank-o-Mania.
- Norman Larkin: Andy's grandfather.
What's with Andy?
ran for 78 episodes, devided into 3 seasons, consisting of 26 episodes each, with the series ending on March 4
. The first episode aired on September 26
who work the voice-overs for the show are:
- This entire show is based on Andy Griffiths' children's series of Just books, although the majority of episodes are not based on the books. In fact, in place of Just Tricking's Terrible Christmas and a Crappy New Year, there is an entirely new Christmas special, most likely because the word "crap" is generally frowned upon by children's networks, despite a season of Hey Arnold! in which it was allowed for Helga Pataki to use the word often. Other changes include Andy's last name, which was originally that of his creator, and other minor name changes that were in essence pointless.
- Andy's best friend's last name has always been Pickett, even since the book series. The name "Danny Pickett" is derived from Jim Kjelgaard's Big Red.
- The setting of the first season of What's with Andy is in the USA while in the second and third seasons, they all have been relocated to Canada. It is very evident in the episode "Rhyme Time" that they lived in the USA because of the American history that Andy recited and that the second language they were taught was Spanish rather than French which is taught as a second language in Canada. Also In "Gnome for the Holidays", a building can be seen saying, US Post Office.