"My Big Fat Geek Wedding" is the 17th episode of The Simpsons' fifteenth season, first aired on April 18, 2004. The episode was originally planned to air on April 4, 2004, but due to the voice actors going on strike, FOX aired a rerun instead.
The story is a follow-on to the episode "Special Edna".
Love is in the air when Principal Seymour Skinner
and Edna Krabappel
are finally getting married. They each have their bachelor party
, with Mrs. Krabappel having hers at the Simpson house with Duffman
and a topless Chief Wiggum
, and Principal Skinner having his at Moe's
. However, at his party, Skinner admits that he has doubts about marrying Mrs. Krabappel. When the wedding is held at Springfield Elementary's gymnasium, Edna learns that Skinner does not want to marry her, and runs away from the ceremony. The wedding is called off.
After it is called off, Homer and Marge try to get Skinner and Krabappel to be engaged again, but it is halted by Homer and Marge's own marriage problems. Mrs. Krabappel returns a wedding gift to the Comic Book Guy, and she finds him to be an interesting man. Homer gets Skinner to serenade Krabappel using a band made up of Bart, Milhouse, and Martin, but that fails when he learns that the Comic Book Guy and Krabappel are in love. The family visits the Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con to confront Comic Book Guy, who proposes to marry Krabappel after the family sees Futurama creator Matt Groening. Skinner, dressed up as Catwoman (who he thought was Catman), battles the Comic Book Guy. Krabappel interrupts their fight to declare that she will not marry either man. When she tells the Comic Book Guy how they had fun but are very different, he accepts her decision, though Skinner is still upset. Later, at the Simpson house, Homer asks Marge to remarry him, which is done in the style of a mock Klingon wedding.
- After Bart, his friends, and Skinner sing their song, a Superman tattoo can be seen on Comic Book Guy's buttocks when he turns around.
- The title is a play on the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
- The Catwoman costume Skinner uses looks like the one from Batman Returns worn by Michelle Pfeiffer.
- At one point in the episode, Barney speaks to an imaginary life-sized rabbit, a likely reference to the Jimmy Stewart movie, Harvey.
- The song that Bart, his friends, and Seymour Skinner sing to try to win Edna's heart back is a parody of Solomon Linda/The Tokens' hit "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
- The tune that Willie is playing on the bagpipes at the wedding is Pachelbel's Canon.
- The Klingon wedding dress is based on the wedding dress worn by Jadzia Dax in the episode You Are Cordially Invited, an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- When Groundskeeper Willie is mowing the lawn and drives over the ball Nelson kicked, he is clearly whistling the theme song of The Lord of the Rings.