Towamencin Township is a township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 17,597 at the 2000 census. It is part of the North Penn School District. Towamencin boasts beautiful residential neighborhoods, historic farmhouses, first-class recreational facilities, and wide-open spaces. The community is a successful mix of residential, commercial and rural development and is home to many fine elementary and secondary educational institutions. The Township is centrally located in the middle of Montgomery County with easy access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike’s Northeast Extension.
The first settlers arrived in Towamencin Township around the turn of the 18th century. These settlers were of German, Welsh, and Dutch descent. They mainly pursued agricultural endeavors to sustain their livelihood.
The first grant of land in Towamencin Township was in 1703 from William Penn's Commissioners to Benjamin Furley on June 8. The Commissioners granted 1,000 acres (4 km²) to him. On June 17 of that same year, Abraham Tennis and Jan Lucken bought the property from him, and then divided the land in half in 1709. The Morgan Log House stands on land that was part of 600 acres (2.4 km²) granted to Griffith Jones by the Commissioners. Edward Morgan purchased 309 acres (1.25 km²) of this land, which included an existing "dwelling house", from Griffith Jones on February 26, 1708. In 1720, his daughter Sarah, who in 1734 would give birth to the famous frontiersman Daniel Boone, married Squire Boone. The land containing the house was then deeded to John Morgan, son of Edward, on August 23, 1723 as part of a 104 acre (.42 km²) tract. In March of 1728 the settlers of the area petitioned William Penn's Commissioners for Towamencin to become a Township. The request was granted and a charter given. The land was surveyed and recorded, outlining the boundaries of the Township, known as antioch. Those boundaries are similar to what they are today. In the enumeration of 1734 there were 32 landholders within the Township, with William Tennis having the most area at 250 acres (1 km²).
The American Indians that inhabited the area were the Lenni Lenape. These natives lived in Pennsylvania, as well as Delaware, New Jersey, and parts of Maryland. They were divided into three tribes: the Turtle, Turkeys, and Wolf. These tribes were then divided into clans, each clan having a name representing the character and situation of the tribe as a whole.
The Indians of Towamencin Township are of the Delaware Nation. They had a settlement in the southwest section of the Township along the Towamencin Creek. They were a friendly nation who made friends with the settlers when they came to the Township. The only accounts of violence that can be attributed to the Indians can not be proven and are most likely fictional. In fact there are many accounts of Indians helping to tend the sick and trading food and goods with the settlers.
There is no record as to when the tribes of Indians left Towamencin. It is suspected they left after the Revolutionary War.
The Maltese Cross of the Towamencin Volunteer Fire Company has an American Indian in the center.
The troops were in Towamencin from October 8, 1777 to October 16, 1777 and camped in the Northern section of the Township. The Township provided a secure area to rest, without fear of surprise attack by the British.
General Francis Nash was wounded at the Battle of Germantown and was carried from Germantown to Towamencin. He was cared for at the Mennonite Meeting House , along with other wounded men of the Battle of Germantown. He died two days later and is buried there.
An interesting story related to the Revolution is that Henry Cassel, whose land was used as an encampment by the Colonists, submitted to the Continental Congress an estimate of damages done to his property by Washington's Army. The damages were to 696 fence rails used for firewood. The cost to replace those rails was 8.14 pounds. There is no record as to whether or not the newly formed Government compensated Mr. Cassel for the amount requested.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 9.7 square miles (25.1 km²), all of it land.
There were 6,872 households out of which 34.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.3% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 25.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 90.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $66,736, and the median income for a family was $80,167. Males had a median income of $56,870 versus $36,879 for females. The per capita income for the township was $30,559. About 1.4% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.1% of those under age 18 and 7.8% of those age 65 or over.
A committee of five residents, two supervisors, and the Township Manager was formed in late February, charged with developing a Five-Year Strategic Plan and the goal of completing it in time for the 2008 budget process. The committee expanded to six residents in mid-May.
The committee began weekly meetings in March 2007, starting with the task of developing a Community Vision and Mission Statement. They then received planning inputs from all Department Heads and the Township Manager. At the end of the input process, the committee developed Priorities, which were then voted on by each member of the committee for prioritization.
The name Towamencin is of Native American origin, and means "Poplar Tree". An alternate etymology is a legend associated started in the 1720s when Heinrich Fry purchased some land near what is now known as the Towamencin Creek. On this tract of land was a Native village whose chief spoke broken English. He observed one day two men clearing trees near the creek and said "Towha-men-seen", meaning "Two men seen." As the legend goes, the chief's pronunciation stuck, and is how Towamencin got its name.
The current membership of the Board of Supervisors (as of the election of November 2007) consists of:
The Board of Supervisors meet on the second Wednesday (Work Session) and fourth Wednesday (Monthly Meeting) of each month. All meetings are conducted in the township building, at 1090 Troxel Road.
|Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 Census||Towamencin||PA||US|
|Population 25 and older||12,085|
|High school graduates (includes equivalency)||2,657||22.0||38.1||28.6|
|Some college, or associate's degree||3,246||26.9||21.4||27.4|
|Master's, professional or doctorate degree||1,957||16.2||8.4||8.9|
|Population 3 years and over enrolled in school||4,527|
|Preschool and kindergarten||638||14.1||11.6||11.9|
Recreation activities are planned and operated by the Parks and Recreation Department. Youth Sports Leagues are run by TYA.
Towamencin along with Lower Salford Township share the home to Mainland Golf Course located in the North Western section of the township spanning the boarder of both.
MeadPointe (Somerset, New Jersey) completed the divestiture of its Wampole Laboratories (Princeton, New Jersey) medical diagnostics division to Inverness Medical Innovations (Waltham, Massachusetts). (Deals roundup).
Sep 26, 2002; * MedPointe (Somerset, New Jersey) completed the divestiture of its wampole Laboratories (Princeton, New Jersey) medical...