A wale is a broad, thick plank around the outside of a wooden ship.

The garboard is the wale next to the keel; the gunwale is the top such plank and covers the heads of the timbers between the main and fore drifts.

Gunports on armed ships were placed in the Middle Wales.

External links


Search another word or see waleon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature