Rodney Rude (born Rodney Keft in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia) is an Australian 'blue' stand-up comedian, poet and writer. He is infamous for his bawdy humour. He has released 12 albums and 4 videos throughout his long career, all of which are distributed by EMI Music Australia. To date, Rodney has sold well in excess of 2 million CDs videos and DVDs. Rodney has also been nominated for an ARIA award for Best comedy Album for almost every album he has released.
He began his career in a band, singing and playing guitar. His habit of altering the lyrics of songs to amuse himself and his audience prompted him to become a comedian. In 1969, he left Australia to tour the United States and Canada. Based in Ontario, he enjoyed a thriving career, touring throughout Canada and the USA.
Arrests in Queensland and Western Australia
He was arrested by Queensland police in the mid-1980s after offending officers during a show. He fought several long and expensive court cases defending his right to perform his show to adult audiences. His legal battle continued after police brought further obsenity charges in Western Australia where the case finally went to the full bench of the supreme court. Rodney won his court cases and all charges were quashed. After the Fitzgerald Inquiry against corruption (1987-89), set up to investigate police corruption in the state of Queensland, the police officer leading the case of obsenity against Rodney was jailed for corruption in an unrelated matter. Since that time Rodney performed without incidence in all states of Australia.
According to his website, rude.com.au, his absence from the comedy circuit in 2004 was due to his recovery from a motorcycle accident on his property, which required him to undergo a knee reconstruction.
Rude toured Australia for the last time in 2006. A CD & DVD accompanied the tour, the CD "Frog Sack" was released on November 11 2006 and the DVD "Rodney Rude Goes The Growl" which was to be released at the end of 2007 has been delayed and will be released October 11th 2008.
Rodney Rude's comedy is sexual, insulting and explicit. As a result, despite some early television appearances his act is restricted to live performances. He did appear in a number of advertising campaigns includingBig Ben
meat pies during the 1980s.
Staples of any given show include:
- Mildly racist humour - in the age of political correctness, Rodney Rude has been forced to tone down some aspects of his comedy.
- Heckling by members of the audience. Rude is known for his fiery responses to interjections from the audience. Common replies include "Ah piss/fuck off mate, I fucked your (insert family member e.g. sister/uncle) last night", or "Funny mate, reaaaal funny. not as funny as your sister looks like with nothing on ya dumb fuck!". Many members of audiences consider it an honour to be personally insulted by Rodney.
- Original songs, accompanied by his guitar, include.
- I May Not Be A Wog (But I Look Like One) (a video clip for this song was made for one of his videos)
- Rubber Vagina
- Well-hung Plough Boy (parody of Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy)
- A moving, wooden effigy of Rude having sex with Pauline Hanson. The dummy moves in such a fashion that as a lever is slid, Rude's (unnaturally large) 'penis' slides in and out from between Pauline's rear end.
- A moving, wooden effigy of Rude with John Hopoate. The dummy moves in such a fashion that as a lever is slid, John Hopoate's index finger being poked up Rude's rear end. (A spoof of the John Hopoahte finger poking incident).
- "Half-Rude" suit - Rodney has constructed a suit that gives him the appearance of being 4' tall. He walks on his knees, using specially constructed prosthetic shortened legs. Using an enormous padded derriere he waggles and bounces back and forward for emphasis of a joke and for comedic effect.
In recent album releases, he has included personal answering machine messages (some of which are now on his website), which are free for personal use. These are in the same vein as his shows.
Influences mentioned during his show include grandfather Rude and Nudge.
Quotes from his shows
- "Last time I was here, I was raped. Two big fat lesos got me down and flogged me with a hunk of bong hose. That's why I came back."
- "No-one cares about your big balls, mate.. except your friend Big Nuts Nudge with bruises on his chin"*
- 'Piss off mate, get a new sister im sick of fucking your old one, so is this bloke and these blokes and these ten blokes, there all sick of her, fuck off mate"
- "What are you celebrating your first headjob, you didnt like the taste, fuck off mate"
- "YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT EYES?! GRAHAM KENNEDY'S GOT FUCKIN' EYES!"
Rodney's first marriage was to a Canadian woman, his son from that marriage continues to live in Canada. He is married to wife Pat, has children, and lives on a property in the Illawarra
- Rodney Rude Live (1984)
- I Got More (1985)
- Rude Rides Again (1986)
- Not Guilty (1988)
- A Legend (1991)
- I Don't Give a Rats Arse (1995)
- More Grunt (1998)
- Ya Mum's Bum (2000)
- Rude Bastard (2002)
- Twice as Rude (2004)
- Frog Sack (2006)
- I Hate That (censored version) (1984)
- Rude Rude Rodney Rude On Video (later released as "Rodney Rude Live") (1984)
- Rude Rides Again (1987)
- I Don't Give a Rats Arse (1996)
- Get Rude On (2002)
- Rodney Rude Goes The Growl (2008)