"Blast from the Past" is episode 5 of season 2 of the television show Veronica Mars. It had an estimated audience size of 3.6 million US viewers on its first airing, garnering the highest audience of any episode in the series overall.
Wallace confronts his mother about Nathan Woods, his birth father. He spills the beans to Veronica, who is supportive, but preoccupied with the bus crash. When Jackie asks for her help, Veronica aids her but it turns out to all be a prank to humiliate her on television. This sets into motion a chain of events leading to Wallace leaving town with his father.
- Veronica bugs Sheriff Lamb's office and finds him blackmailing Terrence Cook, who has a lot of gambling debt.
- Veronica finds a voice mail message left by someone on the bus crash and confirms, after her father hears it, that there's a sound before the bus hits the rail that could be an explosion.
- Keith won't go public with the message, but instead gives it to Lamb.
Quotes and trivia
- Veronica: [to Wallace] Can I guess? You got a sweet love hangover and you don't need no cure.
- Keith: Ahhh, look, Veronica, your father's campaign is riding on a gravy train with biscuit wheels. Woody's numbers guys just called to say I've got a twelve-point lead. I don't need to roll around in the mud with Lamb.
- Veronica: In that case, it sounds like you don't need a photographer from the Neptune Navigator who knows how to shoot your good side?
- Keith: I got nothing but good sides, baby.
- Veronica: It's weird that you live here. I don't want you going all Howard Hughes-y on me.
- Duncan: I am not a shut-in. These nails? Neatly trimmed. Though, now that you mention it, I have started bottling my own urine.
- Veronica: Ew.
- On Jackie's TiVo, you can see that she has recorded Cupid (another show created by Rob Thomas) and Sunset and Vaughn, a fictional show within Cupid.
- Weevil does not appear in this episode.
Ratings are based on Nielsen Media Research data and are obtained from Mediaweek.