is a Hong Kong
based, award winning one-girl band
consisting of independent singer-songwriter
Dejay Choi. The music of the Pancakes is characterised by Dejay's very innocent, almost child-like voice with bright and catchy melodies. Most of The Pancakes' songs are written in English language
, as opposed to majority of singers in Hong Kong
, who perform mainly in Cantonese
About the Pancakes
Dejay Choi is the only member of the band. She graduated from the University of Hong Kong
as a Translation
major. Her real name is unknown to the public. Before working full time as a singer-songwriter, she worked in the Library of the Goethe-Institut
cultural centre) in Hong Kong
Dejay handles almost everything by herself in the production of her albums, from musical composition, lyrics writing, instruments performance, singing, recording to production, etc. Dejay plays the guitar and keyboard. Furthermore, Dejay has also established her own record label, Rewind Records, which handles the management and promotion for the Pancakes.
Prior establishing the Pancakes, Dejay participated of number of independent bands including The Postcard (in 1996, a 3 member band) , Ginger Biscuits (in 1997, one-girl band) and Tricycle Rider (in 1999, a 3 member band).
Her song, gum gum gum (Chinese: 咁咁咁, literally "like, like, like"), written for the film McDull, Prince de la Bun won the 24th Hong Kong Film Awards as "the Best Original Film Song".
Album released under Elefant records
Musical composition for advertisements
- Kowloon Motor Bus, July 2000, a (from the album les bonbons sont bons)
- HSBC Hong Kong credit card, December 2000, patronage (from the album pancakes can panick).
- San Miguel Beer Division, April 2001, wala wala (from album les bonbons sont bons) and 11 unreleased songs.
- China Light and Power, July 2001, the pancakes and the music'.
- Qoo soft drink, August 2002, the Qoo song.
- Hong Kong Leisure and Cultural Services Department, July 2006, incidental music for public pools advertisement.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre, theme song for the 14th Hong Kong Independent Short Film & Video Awards, September 2008, 大踏步 (from album 1,2,3,4,5,6, cheese!)
- Kia Motors Motors, 2007, tell me the truth before one of us dies (from the album stereo radio/right) were used on the advertisement "cee´d sporty wagon Spot". View the advertisements here
As voice actor
- 班門弄戟 (Standard Cantonese：Baan Mun Nung Gig; Pinyin: bān mén nòng jǐ) , Chinese proses collection, published by Kubrick in July 2005. ISBN 988-97905-3-X