The Upper Crust
is an American hard rock band
. The members adopt the personas
of 18th century aristocratic fops
and sing songs from that perspective. They use titles of nobility
, wear powdered wigs
and period costumes, and maintain a snobbish attitude
while performing live and on their albums. The members' say that their guiding philosophy
is "If not great and excellent, then debauched.
Their major music influence is Bon Scott-era AC/DC, alongside glam rock band Kiss and fictional heavy metal band Spinal Tap. Rolling Stone has stated that "Dismiss Boston's Upper Crust as a joke rock band if you must, but give them this much: They're actually funny, and there's as much rock as mock to their singular brand of "roque"" and that "there's plenty of worthy riffs and double-entendre wit to go around". The group originated from a Boston surf rock band called 'The Clamdiggers'. Other related bands were The Bags, The Titanics, The Satanics, The Flies, The Oysters and Seks Bomba.
The Upper Crust has appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. The band had their signature song, "Eureka, I've Found Love" featured as a bonus song in the PlayStation 2 game, Guitar Hero. They have also guest starred in an episode of Codename: Kids Next Door (Operation P.A.R.T.Y.) on Cartoon Network, January 26, 2007.
- Lord Bendover (Nat Freedberg) (guitar, vocals) (1995-present)
- Count Basie (Chris Cote) (bass, vocals) (1996-present)
- The Duc D'istortion (Dave Fredette) (guitar, vocals) (1995-present)
- Jackie Kickassis (Jim Janota) (drums) (1995-present)
- Lord Rockingham (Ted Widmer) (guitar, vocals) (1995–1997)
- Marquis de Roque (aka Marquis Marque, Marc Mazzarelli) (bass, bad vocals) (1995–1996)
- Let them Eat Rock LP (1995) (Upstart Records)
- The Decline and Fall of The Upper Crust LP (1997) (Emperor Norton Records)
- Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be:A Tribute To AC/DC one track, "Back in Black" (1999) (Reptilian Records)
- Entitled - double live album (2000) (Reptilian Records)
- Once More Into The Breeches LP (2001) (Emperor Norton Records)
- Cream of the Crust CD (2006) (Upper Crust Ltd)
- Let them Eat Rock (Documentary - 2004)