There is evidence of a port at Uphill since Roman times, probably for the export of lead from the Mendip Hills. It continued as a small landing stage for many centuries including the import of coal and iorn and the export of local produce.
Uphill is home to Weston Hospicecare, a hospice providing palliative care to patients from the surrounding area with terminal illnesses. Another major healthcare institution in the village is Weston General Hospital.
The Bristol to Exeter railway line runs through a steep cutting between Uphill and nearby Bleadon. This cutting is spanned by a high brick bridge known as "Devil's Bridge" and designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The former Bleadon and Uphill railway station served the village from 1871 until 1964.
The Mendip Way long-distance footpath has its western trailhead at Uphill.
The village is dominated on its southern side by a large hill on top of which stands the unroofed Norman "Old Church of St Nicholas" and the remains of 14th century windmill. The southern slope of the hill and the quarry form the Uphill Cliff Site of Special Scientific Interest, notable for its species-rich calcareous grassland.
The present day Church of St Nicholas is situated on lower ground towards the north end of the village.