ObsCure II is a survival horror video game and is a sequel to the original by Hydravision Entertainment and publisher Playlogic Entertainment for PlayStation 2, Wii and Microsoft Windows. The game was released on September 72007 in Europe.
A North American release stated by Playlogic on 25 March 2008, under the name of ObsCure: The Aftermath.
Two years after the events of Obscure
, the survivors have had to move on with their lives. Shannon and Kenny are now enrolled in the nearby Fallcreek University, while Stan is making ends meet as a pizza delivery boy. Stan and Kenny now have to take medication to prevent the effects of the plantation from infecting their bodies while Shannon has been able to adapt to the changes.
As the story begins, a new drug created from a strange flower is quickly spreading its influence over the University's populace. Soon enough, a small group of students along with the Leafmore High survivors have to face a horde of mutants and stop the spread of contagion before the situation becomes critical.
The students eventually meet a scientist Richard James, who is immersed in the biology of the scientific black spores, and aids the player several times.
The flower spores eventually spread through the campus and affect the nearby hospital. Mei, who gets a call from her twin sister Jun, goes with Sven to rescue her, but fails when she is killed by an unknown monster. The player eventually switches to Corey, and he finds Shannon and her brother Kenny, who is badly injured inside by the black spores and turns into a monster with huge arms.
When Sven and Corey meet up at a warehouse with the others, Kenny in his monstrous form appears and kills Mei, thus distressing Corey. Stan meets with the surviving group and drives them away, until he crashes off a cliff into an unknown forest. Eventually, the monstrous Kenny strikes again, while Corey and Shannon defeat him by making him fall into seeming endless pit in a warehouse.
As the game progresses, Stan and Shannon get closer together, and they eventually kiss.
While Corey and Stan find a place to take refuge, Amy and Sven explore and are ambushed by an unknown man carrying a chainsaw, with a disfigured face. The disfigured man fights Sven while Amy escapes.
When they find Sven impaled by a chainsaw by the disfigured man at a abandoned house, Stan and Corey chase after the disfigured man, leading to the Ruins of the School from the original game and to find out a horrifying, living tree with huge moving branches. The huge tree was actually the mutated remains of Leonard Friedman (from "Obscure 1") and the disfigured man was his son. In the past, Friedman had injected himself with a strain of virus that mutated him and transferred (through his genes) onto his son, Jedidah, causing the horrifying features of the man. Stan and Corey kill the Friedman tree by sawing off the main parts of the huge moving branches, while Corey finishes off the disfigured son by slicing him with the chainsaw.
When the pair return, they find Richard James and an ambulance carrying Amy pregnant with a mutation. Stan and Corey find out that she was raped by Kenny in his monstrous form. The ambulances take Stan, Shannon, Amy, and Corey away, but they crash at a bridge after going through a dark aura of spores under a bridge. Stan and Shannon try to find out what Richard's new pickup point is and try to reach there, while Corey goes after to rescue Amy.
When Shannon and Stan reach the new destination point, they find Corey lying on the ground with surprisingly alive monster Kenny, and Richard James taking off with Amy in a helicopter. Kenny had planned to unite with Corey because he had taken "everything precious" to him. Corey, feeling desolate states that Mei was the only one that he cared about, and commits suicide by shooting himself in the head. Stan and Shannon, the only ones left fight Kenny and kill him by crushing him with a huge floating platform on the ceiling.
As Kenny lies dying by the crushing platform, he pleads to Shannon to take care of his child living in Amy. Shannon swears that she will not let it live. Meanwhile, the helicopter containing Amy and Richard suddenly fill up with an aura of dark spores, and the helicopter explodes. Finally the end, Stan asks Shannon what to do next. As a cloud of black spores rapidly spread all over the area, she replies strongly that she will continue and cut all family ties.
The prominent voice actor Joshua Swanson
plays the role of Stanley Jones. Corey, Kenny, the professor and several miscellaneous lines are played by Miami radio and TV personality Buster Cox.
Characters from the original game
- Shannon Matthews Born on 24 August 1986 in Riverside (California) - One of the survivors of Leafmore High. Her new dark personality was caused due to Herbert Friedman's experiments. Unlike Stan and Kenny she was able to adapt the experiments done to her. She now has 'Black Aura', the ability to absorb darkness. Survives the events of the game.
- Stan Jones Born on 20 June 1985 in New-York - Another survivor of Leafmore High. After the events at Leafmore, Stan caused a lot of problems and went to prison, he never wanted to go to any school again, but now he works as a Pizza boy. Unlike Shannon, he needs medication to cope with the experiments. His ability is Lock Picking. Survives the events of the game.
- Kenny Matthews Born on 27 June 1984 in Riverside (California) - brother of Shannon that also survived the events at Leafmore High. After the events at Leafmore, he went to the university of Fallcreek with his sister. Unlike Shannon, he needs medication to cope with the experiments done to him, much like Stan. His ability is Runing. The experiments are too much for him to cope with, and he eventually turns into a huge monster with gargantuan arms, and is eventually killed by Shannon and Stan.
- Josh Carter Born on 29 November 1984 in Chicago (Illinois) - Josh appears in the hidden video in the last secret box of the game where he sets the video of ruining Leafmore High with Ashley, suddenly Ashley Died, Josh tries to find her and his camera falls, then is picked up by a deformed man (Son of Friedman). He either has killed both of them or captured them as slaves.
- Ashley Thompson Born on 17 January 1985 in Atlanta (Georgia) - Ashley appears in the hidden video in the last secret box of the game where Josh sets video of ruining Leafmore High, suddenly she dies in the dark corridor, and therefore Josh too, they were captured by a deformed man (Son of Friedman). Whether they are killed or slaves is not known.
New player characters
- Corey Wilde Born on 27 July 1985 in Austin (Texas) - A cool guy and car enthusiast who's no stranger to pain; When Corey was younger he used to climb a lot on his but now he's used to the pain and can climb just about anything. His ability is Acrobatics. His official girlfriend is mei he loves her immensely, yet because of his whiny immature nature he has a hard time convincing her. He commits suicide.
- Mei Wang Born on 16 August 1986 in New-York - Jun's twin sister. She is also obsessed with video games like her twin sister. As a result of her addiction, she has become very skilled in hacking into protected machines.
- Sven Hansen Born on 21 September1984 in Oslo (Norway) - Sven Hansen was born in Norway but migrated soon to the US. He is fanatic to his country's sports such as baseball and Hockey. He secretly loves Amy. His ability is strength, which allows him to push heavy objects. He gets killed by Jedidiah.
- Amy Brookes Born on 11 April 1986 in Charlotte (North Carolina) - Amy is a young, smart, blond girl who exploits her good looks and is quick to tease and tempt just for the fun of it all. She is aware that Sven and Kenny are interested in her, and she appears to be interested in both of them as well. Her ability is decrypting, which allows her to put puzzles together. Towards the end of the game, it is revealed that she was raped by Kenny in his mutant form and is pregnant with his mutant child. She seemingly dies when the helicopter that she is in gets destroyed in an explosion.
- Jun Wang Born on 16 August 1986 in New-York - Twin sister of Mei. She is a gamer who loves to play games with Mei. Interestingly, Jun can die in four different ways: she can be killed before Mei and Sven reach her, she can be killed by the monster when Mei and Sven reach her if they don't attack in time, she can get thrown into a cellar and get killed by a monster that she fails to fight off, or she can get thrown into a cellar Mei and Sven go down and controll her by cameras monitor Jun is playable but at the end of the cellar events gets killed by a monster that is lurking nearby when she pulls a switch. Sven and Mei find her dead.
- Richard James - The biology teacher at Fallcreek campus. Nothing seems to impress or amaze him. It is revealed that he was evil the entire time after the game's false ending. He seemingly dies when the helicopter that he and Amy are in gets destroyed in an explosion of black spores........
On the Fallcreek Hospital level, partway through the game, the player must pick up a magnetic card
. If the card is examined, the player can see that the card is assigned to a "Herbert West
," a nod to the main fictional character
of the H.P. Lovecraft short story
22 tracks, composed by Olivier Derivière
- 1 Corruption With Rage and Melancholy
- 2 Atmospheric Mood
- 3 Back To School
- 4 Life Has Plan
- 5 Ballets Of Deads
- 6 Finally Home
- 7 Melancholy
- 8 Corpus Gemitu
- 9 Bad Behaviour
- 10 Lost Love
- 11 Infested People
- 12 Dimitri Was There
- 13 Waltz Of Death
- 14 We All Die
- 15 Save My Soul
- 16 The Last Ones
- 17 Periculum
- 18 Turtle Stone
- 19 Hearing Fearies
- 20 Lumen
- 21 Nostalgia
- 22 Bonus Track: Falling Down Demo
This OST is free for download on the official site of the composer: