is South Africa
's largest independent radio station, broadcasting
in English and Afrikaans
, with a footprint that covers Gauteng
and the North West Province
and boasts an audience in excess of 2.6 million. The station's format is mainstream Adult Contemporary
with programming constructed around a playlist of popular music from the 80's, 90's and today, as well as interactive and emotive features woven into daily programming.
It is an important player in South Africa's most competitive radio market, Gauteng, and enjoys dominance in the nation's capital, Pretoria. As a direct response to the wishes of its listeners, the station was the first in South Africa to adopt a NO REPEATS music policy from 8am to 5pm. Subsequently, other commercial music stations copied the idea, and introduced it to different radio markets across the country.
Jacaranda 94.2 has also pioneered in the field of multimedia content and has partnered Immedia on several key online and mobile projects.
Jacaranda 94.2 operates a regional transmitter split service, known as Jacaranda RMFM from a studio in Polokwane. It can be heard in most of the Capricorn, Bushveld and Lowveld regions of the Limpopo Province as well as in the Mpumalanga Lowveld, notably Nelspruit and the Kruger National Park. Broadcasts occur weekdays from 12:00-16:00 and on Saturdays from 10:00-14:00. It also provides morning and afternoon drivetime newscasts to the regional audience.
Contact Information & Management Team
Head Office: Jacaranda Broadcast Centre, 1 Samrand Avenue, Kosmosdal Ext 11, Centurion, Gauteng, Republic of South Africa
Telephone: +27 (0) 12 673 9100
Telefax: +27 (0) 12 657 0104
- Chief Executive Officer: Alan Khan
- Executive Professional Assistant: Annie Somiah
- Programme Manager: Lloyd Madurai
- Music Manager: Gustav Greyling
- Creative and Production Manager: Andrew Campbell
- Managing Editor: News: Alet van Rensburg
- Sport Editor: Trevor Cramer
- Marketing Manager: Lulu Ndevu
- Projects & Events Manager: Michelle van Os
- Public Relations Officer: Lizette Stokes
- Competitions Coordinator: Mandy Coffee
- Sales, Promotions & Trade Marketing Manager: Bridget Clur
- Technical Manager: Andrew Pike
- Jacaranda RMFM Manager: Dewald Hattingh
- Multimedia Editor: Leoni Kok
Started broadcasting at midnight on 1 January 1986. Initially known as Radio Jakaranda/Radio Jacaranda, it spent its first 11 years with the South African Broadcasting Corporation
(SABC). The transmitting signal was upgraded to stereo in 1990 - coupled with a name change to Jakaranda Stereo/Jacaranda Stereo. In 1994, the name was changed again to Jacaranda 94-97. Original location was Studio RS9 at SABC Northern Transvaal Broadcasting Services in Weavind Park, Pretoria until a move to a highly visible location next to the N1 Ben Schoeman Freeway in Samrand Avenue, Centurion when the station was privatised in 1997 - and renamed "Jacaranda 94.2 - More Music, More Stars/Meer Musiek, Meer Sterre". In 1999, the payoff line changed to "Your Soothing Companion/Jou Streler Speler", and currently is "Life's Greatest Hits".
Prominent past presenters of this radio station include: Fanus Rautenbach, Willem Engelbrecht, Ben Theunissen, Helen Naudé, Theo Conradie, Tom Henderson, Alida Theron, Anelle Schotkamp-Hugo, Anton Schmidt, Derrich Gardner, Morné Zeelie, Elana Afrika, Kieno Kammies and Duncan Pollock.
Jacaranda 94.2 is part of Kagiso Media, South Africa's biggest black owned media company. Jacaranda 94.2 is the group's top performer and is currently South Africa's number 1 independent radio station. Being a commercial bilingual music radio station it has challenges but Jacaranda 94.2 has entrenched itself as a station for the new South Africa. It is changing perceptions, delivering world class radio and has a dynamic management team leading it to 2010 and beyond.
Current weekday presenter lineup
- 05:00-06:00: Francois du Toit
- 06:00-09:00: Just Plain Breakfast with Darren Scott, Dianne Broodryk (News), Francois du Toit (Traffic) & John Walland (Sport)
- 09:00-13:00: Workzone with Maurice Carpede
- 13:00-16:00: Workzone with Tové Kane
- 16:00-19:00: Afternoon Drive with Martin Bester, Riva Schoeman (Traffic) & Trevor Cramer (Sport)
- 19:00-19:30: Sports Cage with Trevor Cramer
- 19:30-23:00: Night Flight with Clayton Robbertze
- 23:00-02:00: Night Prowl with Michelle Bradshaw
- 02:00-05:00: Dewald Noel
- 12:00-16:00: RMFM - Power Zone with Divan de la Guerre
Current weekend presenter lineup
- 06:00-10:00: The Wakeup Shakeup with Andrew Sorrill
- 10:00-14:00: Clayton Robbertze (Saturdays); Maurice Carpede (Sundays)
- 14:00-18:00: Francois du Toit (Saturdays); Riva Schoeman (Sundays)
- 18:00-22:00: Saturday Night Fever with Dewald Noel (Saturdays); Rowan Cloete (Sundays)
- 22:00-02:00: Liezel van der Westhuizen (Saturdays); Tové Kane (Sundays)
- 02:00-06:00: Liezel van der Westhuizen (Saturdays); Rowan Cloete (Sundays)
- 10:00-14:00: RMFM (Saturdays only) - Divan de la Guerre
Playout and Transmission
Jacaranda 94.2 utilises Selector music scheduling and Master Control playout software from Radio Computing Services (RCS).
The FM signal is beamed via STL from the Jacaranda Broadcast Centre in Centurion and carried on 22 transmitters broadcasting on frequencies ranging from 93.9 - 97.1 MHz. These transmitters are operated by South Africa's state-owned broadcast signal distributor Sentech.
In addition to the conventional over-the-air FM broadcast, Jacaranda 94.2 is also available on the DStv audio bouquet (Channel 158) and 1worldspace Digital Satellite Radio (Channel 25). The DStv IS-7 Ku band satellite footprint blankets the whole of South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and the southern half of Malawi. The south beam of 1worldspace's AfriStar satellite reaches much further north, into Angola, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Madagascar and Mauritius.
Live worldwide audio streaming is hosted on its website.
- List of analogue terrestrial (FM) transmitters: