1. Establish, administer, and promote a traffic handling program at the section level, based on, but not restricted to, National Traffic System networks.
2. Develop and implement one or more effective training programs within the section that address the needs of both traditional and digital modes of traffic handling. Ensure that Net Managers place particular emphasis on the needs of amateurs new to formal network traffic handling, as well as those who receive, send, and deliver formal traffic on a "casual" basis, via RTTY, AMTOR, and Packet based message storage and bulletin board systems.
3. Cooperate and coordinate with the Section Emergency Coordinator so that traffic nets and emergency nets in the section present a unified public service front.
4. Recommend candidates for Net Managers and Official Relay Station appointments to the SM. Issue appointments/cancellations and appropriate certificates. At the SM's discretion, the STM may directly make or cancel NM and ORS appointments.
5. Ensure that all traffic nets within the section are properly and adequately staffed, with appropriate direction to Net Managers, as required, which results in coverage of all Net Control and liaison functions. Assign liaison coverage adequate to ensure that all digital bulletin boards and message storage systems within the section are polled on a daily basis, to prevent misaddressed, lingering, or duplicated radiogram-formatted message traffic.
6. Maintain familiarity with proper traffic handling and directed net procedures applicable to all normally-used modes within the section.