1777 in Canada
other events of 1778
1779 in Canada
list of 'years in Canada'
On the way back to England his crew almost mutineered, desperately wanting to go back to the Pacific Northwest, after stopping in China and discovering how much sea otter pelts were worth.
- The American colonies ally with France.
- The English overrun the southern states, but are weakened by a French blockade of shipping.
- After landing at Nootka Sound in August, former British naval captain John Meares
arrives from Macao (sailing under the Portuguese flag) with 70 Chinese carpenters. He supervises the building of another ship and hosuing at Nootka Sound as the post becomes the centre of the pelt and fur trades in the Pacific Northwest.
- The primitive form of hockey is explained to pelters by the natives and soon after leads to the form of hockey seen today.
- Spinning mule invented to spin multiple strands of yarn.
- First treaty between the United States and an Indian nation is negotiated with the Delaware; they are offered the prospect of statehood
- British and Iroquois forces attack and massacre American settlers in western New York and Pennsylvania.