The first ten locomotives, built in 1922, were ordered as T 20 Magdeburg 9201–9210 and, because they were at first intended to be grouped into Class 77, were supplied as numbers 77 001 to 77 010. By 1923 they had been renumbered to 95 001–010. A total of 45 locomotives were built by 1924. Their areas of operations included the Sonneberg–Probstzella line, the Spessart ramp, the Frankenwaldbahn, the Geislingen ramp (Geislinger Steige), the Schiefe Ebene and the Rübelandbahn, where they earned their nickname Bergkönigin ('mountain queen').
The locomotives were the most powerful tank engines procured by the DRG. They could haul a train load of 2060 tonnes at a speed of 50 km/h on the flat and could still manage 430 tonnes at 25 km/h on a 25‰ incline. The very high traction load of 95.3 tonnes enabled it to cope with inclines of up to 70‰ without needing a rack and its Riggenbach counter-pressure brake ensured that it could brake even heavy loads on a downhill stretch.
Of the 45 examples owned by the Reichsbahn, the Deutsche Bundesbahn took over 14 that, towards the end, were stationed in Aschaffenburg and used as pusher locomotives on the Spessart ramp. They were retired in 1958. Locomotives had also been stabled in Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg until 1952 for duties on the Schiefe Ebene.
31 locomotives ended up in the East German Deutsche Reichsbahn. Of these, 24 were rebuilt to oil-firing between 1971 and 1973 and ten were given a newly-designed boiler. From 1970 the oil-fired engines were designated as DR Class 95.0 and the unconverted ones as DR Class 95.1. The last locomotives worked the line from Sonneberg toEisfeld and were retired in 1981.
The following locomotives have been preserved:
At present none of the locomotives are operational.