Clonbulloge (Cluain Bolg in Irish) is a village located in County Offaly in Ireland. Bolg was the Celtic sun-god and this was probably a field where followers of Bolg assembled for worship. The common pronunciation of the village up to recent times was 'Clon Bolg', which endorses this interpretation.
The village is located at the junction of the R401 and R442 regional roads.
The Figile River runs through the village under the R442 near its confluence with the Philipstown River.
Between the village and Edenderry, 11 km to the north, lies the Bog of Allen.
Clonbullogue is located near the point where three counties—Offaly, Laois and Kildare meet. The village is on an island of pasture land in the bog of Allen. The population of the village is 442, which has remained almost unchanged for over a century.
The area is marked on the Cottonian map 1653 of Leix & Offaly as Clanbolg. In the 1659 Census, Robert Shallcross was listed as the titled person in the area. In 1679, Charles II granted this area to the Purefoy family and for a time the village was called Purefoy's Place. In 1798, the village was burned—the only part of Offaly to suffer this fate during the Rebellion. Two of the Wexford leaders, Colonel Anthony Perry and Father Mogue Kearns were captured here and were later hanged at Edenderry for their part in the 1798 Rebellion.
Antiquities in the area include: the Clonkeen stone said to be 340 million years old and legend has it that the stone was thrown from Croghan Hill
by Fionn MacCumhaill
; remains of a togher at Ballykilleen; the ruins of Cloncrane Church; a ring-barrow at Shean and a sheela-na-gig from Ballynowlart
. The last was an important religious site in early monastic Ireland.
- Eamon Broy, former Garda Commissioner, was born near Clonbullogue in 1887 and is buried in a nearby cemetery.
- Jasper Robert Joly 1819–1892, was born at Clonsast. He donated his extensive library of 23,000 printed volumes and unbound papers to the Royal Dublin Society in 1863. When the National Library was established the Joly collection formed the nucleus of the new national institution.
is owned and operated by the Irish Parachute Club
who are based at the field. The airfield has one grass strip runway 270/090 which is 770m long and 18m wide. The are six aircraft based on the field, most of them owned by the Irish Parachute Club. The airfield is located about west of Clonbullogue village and lies under the EI-R16. There is usually intense parachuting at weekends and public holidays.