Tissot is a Swiss watchmaker company founded in 1853.
Tissot was founded by Charles-Felicien Tissot
and his son Charles-Emile who established the Tissot factory in the city of Le Locle
. Tissot introduced the first mass-produced pocket watch in 1853 and the first anti-magnetic watch in 1929-30. The Tissot company was also the first to make a watch out of plastic, mother of pearl
, wood (the Wood watch) and stone (the Rock watch). Tissot merged with the Omega watch making family in 1930 and Tissot-Omega watches from this era are sought after by collectors.
Still based in Le Locle, Switzerland and present in more than 150 countries around the world, Tissot has been, since 1983, a member of the The Swatch Group Ltd., the largest watch producer and distributor in the world.
Tissot is an official timekeeper for the world championships in cycling, motorcycling, fencing and ice hockey.
Tissot has become known in recent years for its tactile, or "T-Touch," technology; several new watches have touch-sensitive sapphire glasses and include compasses, barometers, altimeters and thermometers. T-Touch watches have been recently featured in the movies Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
James Stewart also wears a Tissot watch in the movie "Rear Window".
Other Facts about Tissot
- Tissot is the official timer of the Grand Prix motorcycle racing (MotoGP) and for other world championships in cycling, Motorcycle sport, fencing and ice hockey.
- Tissot, official timer for the Grand Prix in Doha, faced criticism for its errors in timing the 100 meter dash on May 12, 2006. It appeared that American sprinter Justin Gatlin had set a world record when, under international rules, he had only tied the previous record.
- Tissot is the Official Timekeeper and Watch for NASCAR.
- Tissot was the Official Timekeeper of the 15th Asian Games in Doha in 2006 from the 1 – 15 December.
- Tissot was the official timekeeper of the XV Panamerican Games in Rio de Janeiro.
- T-Touch - PRS 516
- T-Navigator 3000 - PRC 200
- T-Sport - PRS 200
- TXL&TXS - PR 50
- Bascule - PRC 100
- Six-T - T-Race MotoGP
- T-Wave - Ice-T
- Equi-T - Diver Seastar Automatic 1000
- Bellflhour - Seastar 660
- Flower Power - V8
- Cocktail - Le Locle
- Heritage - T-Lord