This article is about the 1967 film. For the Broadway musical, see Thoroughly Modern Millie (musical).
Thoroughly Modern Millie is a 1967 musical comedy film directed by George Roy Hill and starring Julie Andrews, James Fox, Mary Tyler Moore, John Gavin, Carol Channing, Beatrice Lillie, Pat Morita and Jack Soo.
The screenplay was by Richard Morris, who was inspired by a 1956 British musical called Chrysanthemum. His effort won him a Writers Guild of America award for Best American Musical. The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards and five Golden Globes. It won the Academy Award for Original Music Score (composed by Elmer Bernstein) and a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for Channing.
The songs used in the production were primarily songs from the 1910s and 1920s. The most recognizable song used, by title at least, was probably "Baby Face". Another song recognizable by melody but not necessarily by name was 1919's "Jazz Baby", for which the film's producers found they had to acquire the rights from General Mills, who had used the tune with various lyrics to promote Wheaties for over 40 years.
The film was successfully adapted for the stage under the same name in the early 2000s. The stage version contained original music as well as a subset of the old songs used in the film.
- Julie Andrews: Millie Dillmount
- James Fox: Jimmy Smith
- Mary Tyler Moore: Miss Dorothy Brown
- John Gavin: Trevor Graydon
- Carol Channing: Muzzy
- Beatrice Lillie: Mrs. Meers
- Jack Soo: "Asian #1"
- Pat Morita: "Asian #2"
The film's soundtrack was released under the Decca label as DL 1500.
- Prelude - "Thoroughly Modern Millie" - Julie Andrews (2:42)
- Overture - Orchestra (3:34)
- Jimmy - Julie Andrews (3:05)
- The Tapioca - Julie Andrews and James Fox (2:57)
- Jazz Baby - Carol Channing (2:41)
- Jewish Wedding Song "Trinkt Le Chaim" - Julie Andrews (3:43)
- Intermission Medley - Julie Andrews (3:40)
- Poor Butterfly - Julie Andrews and John Gavin (3:32)
- Rose of Washington Square - "Blues Singer" (1:15)
- Baby Face - Julie Andrews (2:43)
- Do It Again - Carol Channing (2:01)
- Thoroughly Modern Millie Reprise - Julie Andrews (:58)
- Exit Music - Orchestra (2:36)
Awards and nominations
- Academy Award for Best Original Score (Elmer Bernstein, winner)
- Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress (Carol Channing, nominee)
- Academy Award for Best Original Song ("Thoroughly Modern Millie," nominee)
- Academy Award for Best Art Direction & Set Decoration (nominee)
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design (nominee)
- Academy Award for Best Adapted Musical Scoring (nominee)
- Academy Award for Best Sound (nominee)
- Golden Globe for Best Comedy or Musical Picture (nominee)
- Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy Actress (Julie Andrews, nominee)
- Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress (Carol Channing, winner)
- Golden Globe for Best Original Score (nominee)
- Golden Globe for Best Original Song (nominee)
- Laurel Award for Best Female Comedy Performance (Julie Andrews, winner)
- Writers Guild of America Award for Best American Musical (Richard Morris, winner)